Table of Contents
- 4 Best Dog Food For Corgis Options:
- Best Dog Food Formula With Grains for Corgis
- Best Raw Food for Corgis
- Best Health-Conscious Dog Food for Corgis
- Best High-Protein Dog Food for Corgis
- Best Dog Food for Corgis: Buyer’s Guide
- Best Dog Food For Corgis FAQs
- Best Dog Food For Corgis Final Thoughts
Finding the best dog food for Corgis is a must to keep your four-legged friend healthy. In this article, we explore 4 best dog food for Corgis options, complete with our ratings, pros & cons, and Corgi dog food specifications & ingredients lists.
Corgis are intelligent, active, and loving dogs initially bred for herding horses, sheep, and cattle. They are medium-sized, with short legs, and have various coat patterns and colors. This dog breed is born without tails, which is a unique feature. Corgis are excellent with families, and they are easy to train and adapt to.
This dog breed is ideal as a family pet in various household sizes, and they adjust nicely in apartments, houses, or similar living environments. Corgis thrive well outdoors, where they enjoy play and regular walks. Pembroke Welsh Corgis make great companions and benefit from a protein-rich diet with essential nutrients for a balanced diet.
There are two breeds of corgis: the Cardigan Welsh Corgi and Pembroke Welsh Corgi – both of which have origins as herders on ranches and farms. They are a well-loved dog breed and make popular pets throughout the UK and worldwide. Corgis are talented dogs for obedience training tracking activities, and they typically enjoy splashing in shallow water, though they don’t swim.
When feeding your corgi, it’s essential to provide a well-balanced diet that supports their active lifestyle. Typically, just two small meals daily, about one or one-and-a-half cups of food for each serving, is best.
If your dog is very active, a high-protein diet is ideal. A diet with quality probiotics, vitamins, minerals, and fiber is essential in maintaining a healthy weight and helping your corgi enjoy a high energy level and good fitness.
4 Best Dog Food For Corgis Options:
Best Dog Food Formula With Grains for Corgis
Wag Dry Dog Food
Wag Dry Dog Food is a quality formula that features real chicken and brown rice, which provides the ideal blend of lean protein and healthy carbohydrates.
- Manufacturer: Amazon Services Inc.
- Size:5 x 13.75 x 3.5 inches, and a weight of 15 lbs.
- Ingredients: Chicken, brown rice, oatmeal, rice bran, egg product dried yeast, dried beet pulp, flaxseed, salmon oil, raspberries, salt, potassium, blueberries, ginger, dried chicory root, vitamins E, A, D3, B12, calcium, zinc, folic acid, copper, iron.
- This dog food formula is designed with the assistance of pet nutritionists and veterinarians
- Contains no chicken by-products, soy, wheat, or corn
- High-quality fats and proteins support the energy requirements of corgis
- Probiotics provide excellent support for your pet’s immune system and digestion
- All ingredients are sourced from high-quality sources, without artificial flavors, colors, or preservatives
- Available in five and fifteen-pound bags
- Features omega fatty acids for healthy skin and coat
- Prepared especially for small breed dogs
- Limited flavor options for this product
Wag Dry Dog Food is an affordable, well-formulated pet food product that meets the needs of small and medium-sized dog breeds, including corgis. It’s the best food choice for picky eaters, and your dog will find the formula easy to digest. Wag Dry Dog Food features a high-quality protein source, supporting your corgi’s physical activity while promoting healthy bone and muscle development.
This product may be suitable for dogs with allergies to corn, soy, and wheat, and the probiotics help corgis digest their meal without any adverse effects. There’s a significant source of fiber in this formula, which helps regulate your dog’s metabolism.
You’ll find this brand available online in two convenient sizes. It’s an excellent staple for a corgi dog diet and can be supplemented with a topping of wet dog food or fresh meat.
Best Raw Food for Corgis
Instinct Raw Boost
Instinct Raw Boost offers a blend of high-quality dry dog food and freeze-dried raw dog food with high-quality animal protein.
- Manufacturer: Nature’s Variety
- Size: 4 x 8.5 x 13.25 inches, and 4 lbs.
- Ingredients: Turkey, chicken, peas, chicken fat, salt, freeze-dried chicken, chicken liver, pumpkin seeds, potassium, vitamins E, A, B12, D3, freeze-dried chicken heart, tapioca, salmon oil, pumpkin, dried kelp, blueberries, rosemary extract, zinc, copper, carrots, apples, iron, cranberries, folic acid, calcium
- This product is grain-free and high-quality, raw, cage-free chicken
- It contains raw, freeze-dried ingredients from quality sources
- Easy to prepare and serve
- Provides a complete meal with all the essential ingredients with 25% less fat and fewer calories for weight management
- Minimally processed and prepared with natural ingredients from quality farms and suppliers
- Nutrient-dense with raw, uncooked pet food that retains all the natural amino acids, flavors, minerals, vitamins, and antioxidants
- This product is shelf-stable and only requires a bit of warm water and a few minutes to prepare and serve
- This product is more expensive than other brands of pet food
- Some dogs may not prefer the texture or flavors if they are a picky eater
Instinct Raw Boost provides the best of raw meat and dry kibble in one meal. It’s a high-quality product that’s worth the extra expense for the nutrient-rich ingredients and textured blend for your pet.
If your corgi is new to raw food and blended formulas such as Instinct Raw Boost, it’s essential to gradually introduce the new blend into your pet’s diet. Within a week of offering small portions or alongside your dog’s current kibble, you’ll notice if your corgi enjoys the formula.
This raw food and dry food formula are best for adult corgis, and the feeding amount may vary slightly, depending on the size, age, and weight of your dog. Overall, this product is an excellent option for corgis and should be served with fresh water for a balanced diet.
Best Health-Conscious Dog Food for Corgis
Health Extension Chicken and Brown Rice
Health Extension Chicken and Brown Rice dry dog food recipe support your dog’s health with whole food ingredients without common fillers or preservatives.
- Manufacturer: Health Extension
- Size: 16 x 5 x 30 inches, and a size of 40 lbs.
- Ingredients: Organic chicken, chicken fat, ground brown rice, oatmeal, rosemary extract, flaxseed, dried beet pulp, egg product, apples, zinc, iron, calcium, vitamins D, B12, E, A, primrose oil, blue/green algae, copper, cobalt, ginger, DHA
- Health Extension is a family-owned business that specializes in designing quality ingredients in nutrients
- It contains more turmeric, organic apple cider vinegar, and coconut oil than other dog food products
- Free of filler, artificial flavors, corn, wheat, colors, and preservatives
- All ingredients are of high quality and from sustainable sources
- This formula is crafted in small batches and prepared in US facilities
- Available in various sizes, including one, four, fifteen, thirty, and forty-pound packs
- Specially formulated for small breed dogs, including corgis
- This product is more expensive than other brands
- Limited flavor options for this product
- Not recommended for large breed dogs
Health Extension Chicken and Brown Rice is a unique brand that prepares top-notch quality products in small batches. It’s a worthwhile investment if you’re looking for a product that provides a holistic approach to your dog’s health, with superb nutrition and high-quality ingredients. This formula contains only sustainable and traceable ingredients, all naturally sourced.
If your corgi is switching to this brand, it’s best to purchase a small, one-pound bag to provide a sample and determine if your dog enjoys the food. It’s generally a great product and may satisfy more fussy eaters.
Best High-Protein Dog Food for Corgis
Acana High-Protein Dry Dog Food
Acana High-Protein Dry Dog Food for adults is a quality formula offered in both grain-free and healthy grain options. This red meat formula is an excellent option for all breed sizes, including corgis. This dry kibble product offers a recipe prepared with raw and fresh ingredients to match the natural diet of most dogs.
- Manufacturer: Acana
- Size:4 x 15 x 4.3 inches, and a size of 24.9 lbs.
- Ingredients: Beef, deboned pork, whole green lentils, whole pinto beans, whole red lentils, whole yellow peas, lentil fiber, fish oil, pea starch, beef tripe and liver, vitamins A, D3, E, rosehips, althea root, rosemary extract, juniper berries, dried chicory root, collard greens, whole apples, zinc, whole pumpkin, dried kelp, beef kidney
- Acana’s product is available in both wholesome grains and grain-free varieties
- Available in various package sizes, including four, eleven, thirteen, twenty-two, and twenty-five-pound packs
- This product is available in different flavors, including free-run poultry, fish, red meat, and unique formulas for small breed dogs
- Excellent nutrient levels for all life stages and free of gluten, tapioca, and potato ingredients
- It contains no artificial flavors, colors, or preservatives
- Protein sources are of high quality from raw or fresh animal ingredients, as well as botanicals, whole vegetables, and fruits to provide high-grade nutrients
- An excellent formula for senior dogs, including corgis
- Some flavor and package size options may not be consistently available for purchase
Acana High-Protein Dry Dog Food is an excellent food for adults of all sizes and needs. This formula offers a superb caloric, fat, and protein content that supports a healthy weight. Your corgi can enjoy this dry food as a regular part of a well-balanced diet. This product offers all the essential minerals, vitamins, fiber, and protein required for a healthy lifestyle, whether your dog is active or more sedentary with age.
Best Dog Food for Corgis: Buyer’s Guide
Corgis are highly active and require a diet compatible with their energy level. When choosing the best dog food for Corgis, selecting a product with quality-sourced meats, oils, vitamins, and supporting nutrients is essential.
Our top picks feature omega 3 and 6 fatty acids, minerals, organic meats, and vegetable-based proteins to support a balanced diet.
Corgis adapt well to various environments, lifestyles, and diets, and they are highly trainable and likely adjust well to new formulas and food products.
Before you choose a product that may contain fillers or ingredients prone to allergic reactions, it’s essential to consult with a vet to determine which brands are a good fit for your pet. Corn, soy, gluten, and wheat are the most common fillers that cause reactions or food sensitivities.
There are essential factors to consider when choosing a quality dog food product:
- Your dog’s activity level, size, age, and health conditions may impact the amount and formula that best supports their needs
- Allergies, reactions, and a sensitive stomach to specific ingredients and blends
- How well your dog adapts to new foods, and which types of food products they tend to avoid
While corgis are generally healthy and handle most ingredients in dog food products well, it’s crucial to consult with a vet if you note any adverse reactions or other concerns. Your veterinarian can review your dog’s current health condition and any medical history that may impact their diet.
For example, if your corgi is diabetic or has heart-related issues, a particular diet may be the ideal approach for your pet.
Best Dog Food For Corgis FAQs
Is weight control an issue with corgi breeds?
In general, a corgi is a physically active dog and requires a steady diet of healthy carbohydrates, proteins, healthy fat, and fiber for support and digestive health. In some cases, a medical condition, reduction in activity due to injury or age, and other factors may require an adjustment to your dog’s meal plan.
Canine obesity is common when there is excessive fat in your pet’s diet, which may be expected in fewer quality diets or customized meal plans that lack sufficient fiber, vitamins, and minerals to maintain a healthy weight. Weight control can be helped greatly by feeding your pets the best dog food for Corgis.
Can dogs eat different types of nuts and seeds?
You’ll find a variety of nut and seed-based oils in many dog food formulas, including sunflower oil and flaxseed oil, which are common. Corgis and dogs, in general, can eat certain types of nuts in small quantities, such as cashews, peanuts, quinoa, and peanut butter. While these foods are safe for dogs, they should be limited to maintaining a balanced diet.
Some specific nuts and seeds should be avoided, as they are harmful to dogs. These include almonds and macadamia nuts. To ensure that your corgi doesn’t consume any harmful ingredients or foods, it’s best to avoid nut and seed blends, including trail mix.
Which human foods are acceptable for corgis?
Many food options are safe to feed your corgi and other dog breeds. These include bread, corn, coconut eggs, fish, honey, ham, pork, popcorn, milk, turkey, quinoa, shrimp, and tuna. A variety of fruits are healthy for your dog, including blueberries, strawberries, watermelon, apples, bananas, coconut, cucumbers, cantaloupe, cranberries, mangoes, and pineapple.
Dogs can eat many vegetables, including carrots, celery, broccoli, brussels sprouts, green beans, spinach, and peas. Feeding your dog dairy products should be limited to low-fat options, including milk, yogurt, and cottage cheese.
Which foods should be avoided?
There are many poisonous or harmful foods to your dog’s health due to specific ingredients that can cause a reaction. Fruits that contain pits should be avoided, as some stones contain poisons that can hurt your dog. Chocolate, xylitol (a sugar alternative), avocados, asparagus, garlic, onions, mushrooms, cinnamon, and ice cream should be avoided. Some dog food providers and shops offer dog-friendly ice cream.
Is raw food safe for corgis?
Yes. It’s essential to provide quality raw meats for your corgi, vital for your dog’s skin and coat. Raw food provides significant protein, healthy fats, minerals, vitamins, and antioxidants. If your dog isn’t accustomed to raw food, it’s crucial to gradually adjust or add a small portion as a topping on dry kibble.
Should a Corgi follow a breed-specific diet?
Ideally, corgis can adapt to most high-quality formulas that feature high-quality and sufficient levels of nutrients and proteins. Corgis flourish well on grain-free and raw diets with organic and balanced ingredients. Your veterinarian or pet nutritionist can recommend specific blends and dog food formulas that capture the best elements of a corgi’s diet for best results.
How often should I feed my corgi each day?
Two meals a day, with one cup or slightly more, is ideal for corgis. They generally eat smaller portions, and you can vary the type of food they consume by alternating between dry and wet dog food or combining both for each meal. If you notice your pet doesn’t finish eating each meal, it’s best to reduce the size and keep an eye on their eating habits to ensure they have a balanced diet.
Best Dog Food For Corgis Final Thoughts
We hope that this article, “Best Dog Food For Corgis” helped you find the best dog food options for your Corgis. Feel free to contact us if you’d like our team to review any other Corgis specific dog food.
Amazon Best Rated Products - Last Updated on 2022-05-16. DISCLAIMER: Some or all of the product links on this page are affiliate links. The operator of this website received a small commission if you purchase products through these links, HOWEVER, there is no added cost to you. These commissions help to fund the operation of this FurryFriendsGear.com