Table of Contents
- 5 Best Dog Food for German Shepherd Puppy
- Best Dog Breed-Specific Formula Dog Food for German Shepherd Puppy
- Best Veterinarian-Approved Dry Dog Food for German Shepherd Puppies
- Best High-Protein Dog Food Formula for German Shepherd Puppies
- Best All-Natural Formula for German Shepherd Puppies
- Best Wet Dog Food for German Shepherd Puppies
- Best Dog Food for German Shepherd Puppy: Buyer’s Guide
- Best Dog Food for German Shepherd Puppy FAQs
- Best Dog Food for German Shepherd Puppy Final Thoughts
Need help finding the best dog food for German Shepherd Puppy? Well, in this article we dive into 5 top products and provide our ratings, pros & cons, product specifications, and ingredients list.
German Shepherd puppies are highly energetic and enjoy companionship, playing, and bonding with humans. It’s essential to start your puppy on the best diet to ensure they get the proper nutrients early in life.
As puppies, German Shepherds have thick fur that’s fuzzy until they grow larger. They grow quickly, which means the nutrient level they consume in the first months of their life is essential for building solid bones muscles and supporting their body’s organs. They are brilliant dogs, and a balanced diet of omega fatty acids is excellent for supporting their development.
While German Shepherds are energetic and bark often, they are easy to train and affectionate with humans. They make ideal working dogs, and training begins early, which is best with a regular exercise routine and natural diet. German Shepherds are strong and obedient, making them easy to train, and while they are loud when they bark, they are overall calm, happy, and easy-going.
German Shepherds make the perfect family pet, and ideally, they thrive best in a larger space where they can run and play frequently. A diet high in protein, fiber, and essential nutrients is vital in supporting their muscular build and physical activity. And, that is possible with our listing of the best dog food for German Shepherd Puppy! When you prepare your dog for adulthood, it’s crucial to select a puppy formula that focuses on proper development from the start.
5 Best Dog Food for German Shepherd Puppy
Best Dog Breed-Specific Formula Dog Food for German Shepherd Puppy
Royal Canin German Shepherd Puppy
Royal Canin German Shepherd Puppy formula is specifically developed to provide all the nutrients and high protein levels for growth and support for your German Shepherd puppy.
- Manufacturer: Royal Canin
- Size: 26 x 21 x 5 inches, and a weight of 30 lbs.
- Ingredients: Chicken, wheat gluten, pork meal, brown rice, fish oil, brewers rice, pea fiber, calcium, phosphate, copper, manganese, wheat gluten, folic acid, marigold extract, vitamins B12, D3, B1, A, zinc, rosemary extract, dried plain beet pulp.
- Supporting the development of the digestive system
- Antioxidants and vitamin E offers protection for puppies’ immune systems
- Unique kibble size and shape to help puppies easily pick up and chew
- Features all high-quality meats, vitamins, and minerals for excellent growth and health
- Supports and maintains joint and bone growth with chondroitin and glucosamine
- The dog breed-specific formula for puppies
- Shelf-stable, easy to store
- This product is more expensive than other brands
- Available in one size only
- It contains grain, which may cause a food allergy or food sensitivities in some dogs
Royal Canin German Shepherd Puppy dog food is a great way to provide all the necessary nutrients for your dog. It’s an easy way to ensure your puppy has all the essential nutrients and more as they grow and develop through the first fifteen months of their life.
There are two key ingredients, chondroitin and glucosamine, that support bone and joint development with a significant protein, calcium, and minerals source.
Related Article: Best Dog Food For German Shepherds
Best Veterinarian-Approved Dry Dog Food for German Shepherd Puppies
Hill’s Science Diet Dry Dog Food
Hill’s Science Diet Dry Dog Food offers one of the best quality formulas for large-breed puppies. It’s a vet-approved dry food product that supports essential growth and development milestones in the first year.
- Manufacturer: Hill’s Pet Nutrition Sales Inc.
- Size:38 x 16 x 16 inches, and 33 lbs.
- Ingredients: Chicken, whole grain, pork fat, fish oil, potassium, dried beet pulp, brewers rice, whole grain, corn gluten meal, vitamins B12, D3, A, E, C, manganese, zinc, copper, soybean oil, brown rice, flaxseed, chicken liver flavor.
- Hill’s Science Diet is a highly reputable source of nutrition for dogs of all breeds and sizes
- Made in the US in a high-quality facility
- It contains multiple sources of protein to support the growth of bones, muscles, and joints in puppies
- Recommended by veterinarians
- Contains DHA from fish oil to support the development of vision, cognitive function, and overall growth
- Omega fatty acids support a healthy coat and skin
- Available in several flavors, including lamb meal with brown rice, chicken, and chicken with oats
- Available in three pack sizes of 15, 30, and 33-pound packs
- Some pack sizes and flavors are not consistently available for purchase
Hill’s Science Diet Dry Dog Food is a highly recommended formula backed by science and veterinarians to offer all the essential nutrients required to help your puppy flourish. The nutrients are balanced to promote growth and developing strength.
It’s an easy formula for puppies to digest and thrive on, though some grains and gluten in the diet may cause food sensitivities in puppies. If you notice any symptoms of allergies or similar reactions, it’s best to consult with a vet or switch to a grain-free, gluten-free formula.
Hill’s Science Diet is a well-established brand that provides excellent nutrient-rich dog food products to dogs of all ages, sizes, and breeds. This formula is specific to large breed puppies to provide significant nutrients for their healthy development and growth.
Best High-Protein Dog Food Formula for German Shepherd Puppies
Blue Buffalo Wilderness Dog Food
Blue Buffalo Wilderness Dog Food for puppies is a natural blend of all-natural ingredients with a high protein level.
- Includes a significant source of antioxidants, vitamins, minerals, and probiotics for proper development in the early stages
- Contains no grains, soy, corn, by-products, wheat, artificial flavors, or preservatives
- It contains real chicken to ensure quality protein sources for healthy development
- All ingredients are naturally sourced and essential for retinal health and cognitive function, including DHA and ARA
- Recommended by holistic veterinarians and nutritionists for maximum immune protection and support
- The specifically developed formula for large breed puppy
- Sustainable product
- There are limited size and flavor options available.
Blue Buffalo Wilderness Dog Food is a well-formulated product that’s designed to meet all the nutritional and developmental needs of your German Shepherd puppy. It’s an excellent product for all large breed dogs during the early stages in life, with protein-rich ingredients, minerals, antioxidants, and vitamins to support the healthy growth of vision, cognitive, and organ development.
Best All-Natural Formula for German Shepherd Puppies
Wellness Complete Health Puppy Food
Wellness Complete Health Puppy Food offers an all-natural dry kibble formula ideal for considerable breed puppy growth.
- Manufacturer: Wellness
- Size: 16 x 4.75 x 24.5 inches, and a size of 30 lbs.
- Ingredients: Salmon meal, chicken meal, fish oil, carrots, ground flaxseed, peas, deboned chicken, oatmeal, chicory root extract, spinach, salt, apples, blueberries, zinc, sweet potatoes, copper, green tea extract, rosemary extract, vitamins B12, C, E, D3, A, calcium, taurine, carrots.
- Prepared with only natural flavors and ingredients to provide the best source of protein and nutrients for optimal health and growth
- Specially formulated for a large breed puppy
- Made in a US facility and sourced from reputable farms and suppliers
- Available in two package sizes, 15 and 30 lbs.
- Available in chicken and salmon, offering a vital source of lean protein for muscle and bone development
- Wellness is a well-established company that provides nutrient-rich formulas for dogs of all breeds, ages, and sizes
- Kibble size and shape is ideal for small dogs and puppies, easy to pick up, chew, and digest
- The grain-free formula is easy to digest and prevents possible allergic reactions or sensitivities
- A bit more expensive than other brands
- Some flavors and package sizes may not be consistently available for purchase
Wellness Complete Health Puppy Food provides a grain-free formula for puppies with clean, wholesome nutrients to support healthy growth. This product can be served as a regular part of your puppy’s diet and topped with wet or raw food to enhance protein, calcium, and antioxidant content.
Best Wet Dog Food for German Shepherd Puppies
Royal Canin Canine Health
Royal Canin Canine Health wet dog food for puppies is an excellent topper for dry kibble and ideal for protein. It’s a great option for puppies of all breeds and sizes, including German Shepherd puppies.
- Manufacturer: Royal Canin
- Size:75 x 2.75 x 4 inches, and a size of 13.58 oz.
- Ingredients: Chicken, pork, brewers rice flour, cornmeal, dried plain beet pulp, vegetable oil, chicken liver, salmon, phosphate, folic acid, vitamins E, B1, D, B12, B6, D3, zinc, copper, fish oil, marigold extract.
- Wet food is specially formulated for puppies to support optimal growth and development up to 15 months
- It contains essential nutrients, including probiotics, to support digestive health and the intestinal system.
- Supports immune health with vital amino acids, minerals, antioxidants, and vitamins
- It contains omega fatty acids to support healthy skin and coat while supporting retinal and cognitive development
- Provides a complete and balanced meal for your German Shepherd dog
- Available in several pack options, including 3.5, 5.8, 13.5 oz. cans in packs of six, 12, and 24
- Ranked in the top 250 best sellers for canned dog food
- Ideal as a topping or as a complete meal on its own
- No preparation is needed; food can be served from the can
- Some can size and package options are not consistently available for purchase
Royal Canin Canine Health wet dog formula is an excellent source of omega-rich fatty acids, protein, minerals, and vitamins essential for the early stages of your puppy’s growth. Royal Canin products specialize in developing breed-specific blends and wet and dry kibble recipes.
Best Dog Food for German Shepherd Puppy: Buyer’s Guide
German Shepherd puppies are very active and overgrow in size, making quality-sourced nutrients a priority when choosing the right formula and best dog food for German Shepherd Puppy for your pet. You’ll need to adjust the serving portions for every stage of the first year of your puppy’s life, starting with one cup up to two months, to 1.5 or two cups at three months, then increasing as needed, to three cups at six months, and three or 3.5 cups per day at one year.
Protein is one of the essential nutrients for dogs, especially as a puppy, as it’s instrumental in supporting the development of bones, tissue, and muscles. Whole grains are included in some formulas, and you may prefer to choose a dog food product that’s low-grain or specifically whole grain to avoid allergic reactions.
German Shepherds puppies’ activity, growth, and individual needs determine how much they need to eat daily. When choosing a quality dog food formula, it’s essential to keep a few factors in mind:
- Your dog’s development milestones and overall health
- High protein is recommended throughout all the stages of your dog’s life, starting when they’re a puppy. This is especially vital if they are highly active
- You’ll find that activity levels may change from day to day, though generally, a nutrient-rich diet and regular, consistent portions is essential
- Choose a formula with naturally sourced ingredients
- If you buy a wet dog food product, you can add a small portion to your puppy’s dry kibble or serve it separately
- Omega-rich fatty acids and healthy oils are essential to ensuring that your puppy develops healthy bones, organs, and muscles
When your German Shepherd is a puppy, it’s essential to consult your vet to ensure that your dog is developing without any issues. You may notice variances in your pet’s growth and activity patterns, which is expected and doesn’t require any significant changes in your dog’s dietary plan.
A vet nutritionist can determine if your German Shepherd puppy may benefit from supplements or a custom diet for optimal development of your large breed dog. And, your vet will also recommend the best dog food for German Shepherd Puppy.
Best Dog Food for German Shepherd Puppy FAQs
Can I feed treats to my German Shepherd puppy?
Yes, treats are acceptable, provided they are healthy, rich in protein and nutrients, with no added sugar or preservatives. Many store-bought snacks for dogs, including puppies, are not as natural or high-quality as claimed. Naturally dried meats with low sodium, or dehydrated vegetables and meats, are the best choice to avoid any additives commonly found in treats.
If you’re training your puppy, treats are a great reward. Treats should be given in small portions, and only on a limited to occasional, until your dog reaches six months. You can gradually increase treats from six to twelve months, provided they are consistently small in portion.
It’s essential to ensure that these tasty rewards don’t interfere with your puppy’s natural eating habits, as this can cause overeating or skipping meals if excessive treats are consumed.
Can German Shepherd puppies safely eat fruits, vegetables, and other human foods?
Yes. There are plenty of great options for your puppy that are ideal for providing additional fiber, vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. Some of the best options for your puppy include fresh carrots, cooked eggs, yogurt, plain oatmeal, blueberries, strawberries, watermelon, pumpkin, and peanut butter. It’s crucial to provide only natural, unflavored, or sweetened versions of yogurt, peanut butter, and other acceptable foods for your dog.
While dairy is acceptable for dogs, limiting intake to low-fat options, such as cottage cheese and yogurt, is essential. Greek yogurt is an excellent option, as it contains high levels of protein, calcium, and probiotics, all of which are essential for your puppy’s growth. Goat’s milk and cheese are more accessible to digest than cow’s milk products and an ideal option for your puppy.
Which foods should I avoid feeding my puppy?
German Shepherd puppies and most dogs should never eat chocolate, xylitol (a sugar alternative), avocados, cherries, fruits with stones, and foods that contain caffeine or alcohol. It’s also best to avoid deep-fried foods or fatty trimmings from ham or bacon, and these foods can impact heart health and lead to excessive weight gain.
What is the maximum I should feed my German Shepherd puppy?
Puppies may eat varied amounts to start, though they should consume no more than 80% of their body weight. It’s essential to monitor your puppy’s growth and eating habits, so they can safely and fully develop without adding excess weight to their frame. German Shepherds are a large breed dog that reaches their adult size by 18 months.
Best Dog Food for German Shepherd Puppy Final Thoughts
We hope that you were able to find the best dog food for German Shepherd Puppy in this article. If you’d like us to review another product, please feel free to contact us!
Amazon Best Rated Products - Last Updated on 2022-05-15. DISCLAIMER: Some or all of the product links on this page are affiliate links. The operator of this website received a small commission if you purchase products through these links, HOWEVER, there is no added cost to you. These commissions help to fund the operation of this FurryFriendsGear.com