Table of Contents
- Best Large Breed Puppy Formula for Pitbull Puppies
- Best All-Natural Large Breed Puppy Food for Pitbull Puppies
- Best Wet Dog Food for Pitbull Puppies
- Best Dry Dog Food for Sensitive Stomach for Pitbull Puppies
- Best Limited Ingredient Formula for Pitbull Puppies
- Best Dog Food for Pitbull Puppies: Buyer’s Guide
- Best Dog Food for Pitbull Puppies Frequently Asked Questions
- Are supplements essential for pitbull puppies?
- How much exercise should a pitbull puppy have every day?
- Can a pitbull eat raw meat?
- Which human-grade food is acceptable for pitbull puppies?
- Which foods should be avoided?
- Can pitbull puppies eat dairy products?
- Should I feed my pitbull puppy at the same time every day?
Pitbull puppies are highly energetic dogs with friendly personalities. And, finding the best dog food for Pitbull puppies is crucial to ensure your puppy grows into a healthy adult. In this article, we review 5 of the best options.
They are easy to train and enjoy companionship with humans, making them ideal for families. While Pitbulls are often mistaken as aggressive dogs, they display calm, loving temperaments and learn quickly during training. Pitbull puppies tend to be stubborn and resistant at times, though they learn fast and perform ricks without difficulty.
When pitbulls are young, socializing is essential for their development and helps prevent aggressive tendencies, which may occur later in life. Pitbulls love to play, and having lots of durable toys is a great way to encourage physical activity and social skills. The term pitbull refers to various similar breeds, including the American Pitbull Terrier, American Pitbull, and Staffordshire Bull Terrier.
Like many playful, active, and energetic dogs, your pitbull puppy thrives on a diet rich in quality protein, whether you incorporate raw meat into your pup’s diet, human-grade food, or choose reputable commercial dog food brands.
The top 5 ingredients vital for your pitbull puppy’s diet include quality animal protein, healthy fat, amino acids, minerals, and vitamins. A high-protein diet is essential for your puppy, especially during the first year, when a significant amount of development occurs.
One of the critical factors in choosing the best dog food for Pitbull puppies is the source of nutrients and ingredients to ensure your puppy grows and develops with optimal health. Our top dog food picks are based on several important factors, including product size, price, pet satisfaction, nutrients, and the quality of ingredients.
You’ll find a great variety of dry food and wet food options for your pitbull puppy that support the early stages of development.
Best Large Breed Puppy Formula for Pitbull Puppies
Purina Pro Plan
Purina Pro Plan Large Breed dry dog food for puppies is a pleasant-tasting formula for large breed dogs, including pitbull breeds in the first year.
- Manufacturer: Nestle Purina Pet
- Size:75 x 20 x 33 inches, and a weight of 47 lbs.
- Ingredients: Chicken, rice, whole grain wheat, beef fat, corn gluten meal, pea fiber, fish oil, calcium, salt, potassium, soybean oil, fish meal, zinc, vitamins E, B12, A, B5, B9, B1, B2, B6, D3, garlic oil, manganese, copper.
- This formula provides all the required nutrients and high protein content for a large breed puppy’s growth in the first year
- It contains live probiotics to support immunity and digestive health
- The kibble size is crunchy and textured, which makes it easy to chew and digest for puppies
- It contains glucosamine to support developing cartilage and joints
- This chicken and rice formula offers quality lean protein and carbohydrates for optimal growth
- Ranked as a best seller in the top 50 top products in the dry dog food category
- Available in three sizes, including 18, 34, and 47 lb. bags
- Limited flavor options available for this product
- Not suitable for adult food diets or a senior dog
- The price for this product is higher than similar dry food products
Purina Pro Plan Large Breed formula is ideal for a pitbull puppy and other large breed dogs, including a Golden Retriever and German Shepherd. This dry food brand is reputable and supports active dogs in the first year of life, with high-quality animal protein, fatty acids, and nutrition for optimal growth and development.
Best All-Natural Large Breed Puppy Food for Pitbull Puppies
Royal Canin Healthy Nutrition dry dog food for large breed puppies offers rich, high protein and nutrients for a pitbull during its early stages.
- Manufacturer: Royal Canin
- Size: 6 x 17.5 x 25 inches, and 35 lbs.
- Ingredients: Chicken, chicken fat, wheat, corn, brewers rice flour, dried plain beet pulp, vegetable oil, fish oil, psyllium seed husk, potassium, taurine, vitamins C, B1, B12, D3, B6, A, copper, manganese, zinc, marigold extract, calcium.
- The custom formula for large puppy breeds and their unique nutrient requirements
- It contains antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals to support your pitbull pup’s developing immune and digestive systems.
- Supports your pet’s digestion with prebiotics and digestible proteins
- Available in three sizes, 6, 18, and 35-lb packages
- Tailored to suit your puppy’s breed and size
- It contains all the essential nutrients required for a healthy, balanced diet
- Kibble size is small pellets, which makes it easy for puppies to pick up and chew
- This brand is more expensive than other dog food brands
- Not suitable for senior dogs or adult food diets
Royal Canin Healthy Nutrition dry dog food is an excellent brand of kibble for your growing pitbull breed. This formula is specially designed for large breed puppies, including pitbull puppies, so they receive all the essential nutrients, including high protein, for excellent growth and development throughout the first twelve months.
Best Wet Dog Food for Pitbull Puppies
Blue Buffalo Homestyle Recipe
Blue Buffalo Homestyle Recipe wet dog food for puppies is a natural chicken formula that provides essential nutrients for your growing pitbull. It’s ideal as a single serving or a topper for dry dog food.
- Manufacturer: Blue Buffalo Company Ltd.
- Size: 12 x 9 x 4.1 inches, and a size of 9.4 lbs.
- Ingredients: Chicken, pea flour, barley, fish oil, carrots, chicken liver, oatmeal, flaxseed, potassium, chicken broth, blueberries, cranberries, zinc, iron, vitamins E, B2, B7, B12, D3, B9, B6, B1, A, calcium.
- Ranked as a best seller in the top 100 canned dog food category
- Blue Buffalo is a reputable, well-established brand that offers quality pet food
- Every ingredient contained in the formula is naturally sourced, including whole foods, including vitamins and minerals
- It does not contain any artificial flavors, preservatives, or thickening agents
- No ingredients that commonly cause food allergies, such as corn, soy, or wheat
- An ideal topper to boost protein with dry food formulas for puppies
- Packaged in convenient, single-serving cans
- Recommended for all breed sizes
- Reasonably priced
- This formula is not recommended for adult dogs or senior dogs
Blue Buffalo Homestyle Recipe wet dog food is a high-quality canned food ideal for all puppy breeds and provides all the nutritional requirements for pitbull puppies and their active lifestyle. This brand is well-known for offering high-quality, natural ingredients for pets without fillers, by-products, or foods that may cause a food allergy. It’s an excellent topper for other Blue Buffalo products, including Blue Buffalo Wilderness dry food formula.
Best Dry Dog Food for Sensitive Stomach for Pitbull Puppies
Wellness Core Digestive Health
Wellness Core Digestive Health dry dog food for puppies offers an excellent option for puppies and dogs with food allergies and food sensitivities.
- Manufacturer: Well Pet
- Size:5 x 8.27 x 3.43 inches, and 4 lbs.
- Ingredients: Deboned chicken, oat groats, brown rice, chicken meal, flaxseed, brewers dried yeast, barley, dried plain beet pulp, chicken fat, apples, cranberries, pumpkin, marine microalgae oil, potassium, pomegranates, blueberries, taurine, papayas, vitamins E, C, B12, D3, calcium, copper, iron, green tea extract, spearmint extract, rosemary extract.
- This formula is highly recommended by veterinarians and created by vet nutritionists based on quality sourced ingredients
- Wellness Core is a reputable brand that offers a wide range of food and pet products, including grain-free, reduced fat, and specialized diet formulas
- High levels of DHA and EPA to support the vision and cognitive health and development
- It contains probiotics and prebiotic fibers to support digestion and gut health
- Available in two convenient sizes, four and 24-lb bags
- Ideal for puppies of all breed sizes
- It contains fatty acids to support healthy skin and coat
- Contains no wheat, soy, artificial flavors, colors, or preservatives
- This product offers limited flavor options
Wellness Core Digestive Health dry dog formula offers a great alternative to standard puppy food recipes that cause food sensitivity issues, which can impact your puppy’s feeding schedule and digestive health. Wellness Core is a well-established brand that features a great line of quality pet food recipes that support growth and development for dogs with fewer allergic reactions.
Best Limited Ingredient Formula for Pitbull Puppies
Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Diet
Natural Balance Limited Ingredient diet for puppies focuses on providing multiple protein sources with healthy, whole grains.
- Manufacturer: Natural Balance
- Size:75 x 16 x 23.5 inches, and 24 lbs.
- Ingredients: Lamb, rice bran, brown rice, lamb meal, sunflower oil, flaxseed, fish oil, potato protein, salt, vitamins E, A, B12, D3, copper, taurine, manganese, zinc, brewers dried yeast, spearmint extract, green tea extract, rosemary extract.
- Provides all the essential nutrients for optimal growth and development for pitbull puppies, including amino acids, animal protein, fatty acids, minerals, and vitamins
- Supports growth of the muscular system, bones, and joints with essential amino acids
- Available in three package sizes, including 4, 12, and 24-lb. bags
- Includes three high-quality protein sources, lamb, salmon, and chicken
- A good choice for picky eaters
- Not recommended for adult Pit Pulls or senior dogs
Natural Balance Limited Ingredient dry dog food features all the required nutrition for your puppy during the first year, without unnecessary ingredients and fillers added to other formulas. Natural Balance offers a reputable line of products for all breed sizes and life stages, focusing on minimizing the ingredients to focus on the top-quality nutrients and protein sources for best results.
Best Dog Food for Pitbull Puppies: Buyer’s Guide
Pitbull puppies develop, learn, and grow quickly in the first twelve months and require all the essential nutrients, focusing on quality protein and amino acids to support the early stages of bone, muscles, joints, vision, and cognitive growth.
Once your puppy reaches three months, and again at six months, you’ll notice an increase in their appetite. Generally, puppies eat three times daily, with one to two cups. If you notice your puppy feeds more after six months, it’s also essential to monitor their physical activity, to ensure they are getting the most out of the nutrients in their diet for proper growth, motor skills, and development.
Exercise and play are vital for your pitbull pup’s development into adulthood, where they continue to remain active and playful.
Pitbull puppies grow quickly, and you’ll notice how their diet and feeding habits change every two to three weeks, especially within the first few months. It is important to use the best dog food for Pitbull puppies during their young lives.
Puppies rely on their mother’s milk within the first three to four weeks and often begin eating puppy food in the third or fourth week, even in small portions. This transition from mother’s milk and introducing solid food formulas into your puppy’s diet is gradual until they are eight weeks old, when they should be entirely reliant on quality puppy dog food.
There are some critical factors to consider when choosing the best dog food for Pitbull puppies, which include the following:
- Food sensitivities, allergies, and reactions to specific products or formulas
- Your dog’s activity level, age, health, and size
- Review labels to ensure the dog food formula is designed for puppies, as these products must contain a higher level of nutrients that adult and senior dogs don’t require
- Flavor and product preferences are essential, as some puppies enjoy specific blends, such as chicken and rice, over other options
- Avoid artificial flavors, colors, and preservatives
It’s essential to communicate regularly with your veterinarian to ensure your pitbull puppy meets all the growth and development milestones during the first year. If there are any concerns about development or there’s a nutrient deficiency, your vet can recommend a specific diet, formulas, and additional supplements to improve your puppy’s growth and health.
Pitbull breeders offer great advice on the best dog food for Pitbull puppies, dog food formulas, including raw meat, human-grade food, and specialized products to support optimal health and development. These diets must include all the essential elements of a balanced diet, including probiotics, prebiotic fibers, vitamins, minerals, animal protein, and healthy fats.
Vet nutritionists and professional breeders can provide the advice you need for the best dog food for pitbull puppies.
Best Dog Food for Pitbull Puppies Frequently Asked Questions
Are supplements essential for pitbull puppies?
Supplements are not required if your pitbull puppy’s diet comprises high-quality formulas with all the essential nutrients. The best dog food for pitbull puppies is generously packed with rich protein, vitamins, minerals, fatty acids, and other nutrients that support your dog’s growth.
If your pitbull is diagnosed with a condition, such as hip dysplasia, or is at risk of developing this joint issue, your vet may recommend supplements or a specific diet and regular check-ups throughout their adulthood. If you’re considering a supplement for your pet, it’s best to check with your vet to ensure it’s a good option and isn’t counterproductive or ineffective.
How much exercise should a pitbull puppy have every day?
Pitbull puppies are naturally energetic, and it’s essential to ensure they get a lot of outdoor access and playtime to support their strength and muscle development. It’s also an essential way to prevent excessive weight gain and help your puppy enjoy physical activity that will keep them healthy throughout their life. They only require 10 to 15 minutes daily, or a bit less, if they are under six months old.
Pitbulls tend to run and play hard, which means they can get exhausted quickly and don’t need too much activity. Consistency is critical, and a well-balanced diet for maintaining a good weight and optimal health.
Can a pitbull eat raw meat?
Yes. Pitbull puppies can start eating raw meat, provided the quality and cut of meat are high. It’s essential to consult with a vet nutritionist to suggest brands and sources for raw meat options. Raw meat should be fed separately and not mixed with cooked food or commercial dog food products. But, also keep in mind that feeding your pup the best dog food for Pitbull puppies is still important.
Which human-grade food is acceptable for pitbull puppies?
Pitbull puppies can eat various raw and cooked fruits and vegetables, including cantaloupe, watermelon, strawberries, blueberries, pumpkin, apples, parsley, spinach, green beans, sweet potato, carrots, celery, and bananas.
You can also feed your puppy small amounts of peanut butter (unsweetened and unsalted), plain popcorn, cooked chicken, turkey, salmon, beef, and cooked eggs.
Which foods should be avoided?
Garlic, onions, xylitol (sugar substitute), bread dough, avocado, chocolate, grapes, peaches, raisins, and raw eggs should be avoided altogether. It’s also essential to skip any foods containing caffeine or alcohol, even in trace amounts.
Can pitbull puppies eat dairy products?
While dairy products are not dangerous for puppies and can be served in small, limited amounts for adult dogs, they don’t provide any nutritional benefits and are generally not recommended.
Pitbulls thrive on animal protein and amino acids found in meat, and while dairy offers calcium and protein, it’s also high in fat which can interfere with a healthy diet. On occasion, small amounts of low-fat, sugar-free dairy foods such as yogurt and mozzarella or cottage cheese are acceptable.
Should I feed my pitbull puppy at the same time every day?
Establishing a routine feeding schedule is ideal for weight control and ensuring your puppy receives regular portions of high-quality food. It’s also a meaningful way to keep their digestive and metabolic systems developing well into adulthood.
Amazon Best Rated Products - Last Updated on 2022-05-16. DISCLAIMER: Some or all of the product links on this page are affiliate links. The operator of this website received a small commission if you purchase products through these links, HOWEVER, there is no added cost to you. These commissions help to fund the operation of this FurryFriendsGear.com