Table of Contents
- Can I Use Human Shampoo On a Dog?
- What Shampoo is Best for your Husky?
- Things to Consider When Evaluating A Dog Shampoo
- Best Dog Shampoo Products in the Market Today
- Veterinary Formula Clinical Care Oatmeal and Tea Tree Oil
- Healthy Breeds Dog Deodorizing Shampoo for Siberian Husky
- Wahl Pet-Friendly Waterless No Rinse Shampoo for Animals
- John Paul Pet Super Bright Shampoo for Dogs and Cats
- Veterinary Formula Solutions Snow White Shampoo for Dogs and Cats
- Earthbath All Natural Hypo-Allergenic and Fragrance-Free Shampoo
- Perfect Coat Shed Control Shampoo for Dogs
- Burt’s Bees for Dogs Natural Shed Control Shampoo
- Lillian Ruff Professional Dog Shampoo
- Lucy Pet All Natural Shampoo for Dogs
- Rocco & Roxie Argan Oil Dog Shampoo and Conditioner – Healthy Shiny Coat
- Pet MD – Oatmeal Dog Shampoo for Dogs
- Nutriline Labs Antifungal & Antibacterial Chlorhexidine DermaHex-K Shampoo for Dogs
- Veterinary Formula Solutions Triple Strength Dirty Dog Concentrated Shampoo
- Bark 2 Basics Honey & Almond Dog Shampoo
- And The Winner Is…
- Veterinary Formula Clinical Care Oatmeal and Tea Tree Oil
Dogs are furry animals that need occasional bathing. Some of my friends tell me they only do so when their dog starts to stink or when he or she looks filthy. I beg to disagree. Like humans, dogs that don’t take a bath as often as they should are likely to suffer the consequences, including health issues. A stinky dog is something you don’t want at home, which is why occasional baths with shampoo is a must. This article will help you identify the best dog shampoo for huskies.
If you own a husky, even more reason to give it regular baths. However, it is best to bathe your furry friend with shampoo that is intended for the breed. Huskies are known for their coat, which is why you can’t settle for anything less than a shampoo designed for them. Huskies are one of the most active dog breeds, so it is no surprise that they quickly stink. Regular baths, coupled with the best dog shampoo for huskies is something a pet owner like you should embrace.
Can I Use Human Shampoo On a Dog?
Nothing is stopping you from doing this, however, it is best to use a shampoo specifically formulated for dogs, especially if it is a husky. Dogs and humans have different hair and skin, and that alone means they shouldn’t share the same grooming products. Shampoo made for humans usually contains harsh ingredients like detergent. It can damage a husky’s sensitive skin and coat. Or worse, the harsh detergent washes away the natural protection of the animal skin, putting your dog at risk of infections.
You should use dog shampoo for your Husky because the product comes with natural ingredients that do not mess up the natural oils in the skin. The concept behind the best dog shampoo for huskies is to protect the coat and skin while effectively removing the bacteria and dirt. Here is short video will help explain these issues in more detail:
What Shampoo is Best for your Husky?
Choose the shampoo with natural ingredients that may help in removing fleas and ticks. The same ingredients may also be effective in getting rid and preventing the spread of lice. I usually try to leave the shampoo on my husky’s coat and skin for at least 5 to 10 minutes before rinsing – that is if he is behaving during his bath! 🙂 I give it time to penetrate the skin to do its magic. The thing that I always like to do when I’m not sure about a new shampoo I just bought is to ask for explicit instructions from my veterinarian.
Things to Consider When Evaluating A Dog Shampoo
- Hypoallergenic Properties: Some husky breeds are allergic to ingredients that produce the fragrance in dog shampoos. The first shampoo I bought for my dog caused skin irritation, and it was too late before I realized that it wasn’t hypoallergenic. If you notice your pet has itching problems, first check for signs of the fleas, followed by a thorough check of its food. Food allergies may also cause itching. Ingredients like corn and soy are the usual suspects. Buying a shampoo with hypoallergenic and anti-itch properties can help solve the itching problem.
- Making the Bathing Experience Enjoyable: Back when my Siberian Husky was just about a year old, I had this problem convincing him to enjoy bathing. I would always need the extra effort to make the experience as fun as possible for my pooch. Although the difficulty was real, I didn’t lack the motivation to proceed.
- Choosing the Best Dog Shampoo: A moisturizing shampoo might be a good choice for huskies with dry and itchy skin. Scented dog shampoos contain chemicals that may irritate the skin, so try to avoid them. If you want your husky to smell nice after a bath, choosing a shampoo with natural fragrance ingredients like oatmeal and honey makes sense.
- Natural Ingredients: If you use a new shampoo that causes red bumps and itching, stop using it right away and consult a veterinarian. I once used a dog shampoo with natural ingredients, but my husky developed red bumps. The veterinarian prescribed a medicated shampoo for treatment. Although he said that the organic shampoo which I bought wasn’t the culprit.
- Flea and Tick Solution: A filthy environment can result in your husky to develop a flea and tick problem. So, if it is your pet’s main problem, then it makes sense to choose a dog shampoo that offers flea and tick solutions. It is usually a short-term preventive measure, but it helps.
- Puppy Shampoo: Another factor to consider in choosing the best dog shampoo for huskies is the age of your dog. Pick a product that is designed for young dogs if you have a puppy that is less than six months old. You want to choose a shampoo that is gentle for your pooch. Like what you use for your baby, your puppy shampoo must have a no-tear formula.
- Deodorizer: Odor is your primary concern if your husky always finds itself in the garbage or likes to play in messy environments. I recall a couple of times when my dog came inside my room with an awful smell that I couldn’t figure out. The usual dog shampoo didn’t remove the smell. So, if your dog loves to bathe in the garbage bin or find himself rolling around in dirt & mud, then a deodorizing shampoo should help. Look for a product that can eliminate smells. Some dog shampoos are only meant to cover up the scent and fail to get rid of the odor.
Best Dog Shampoo Products in the Market Today
What Is The Best Dog Shampoo for Huskies?
Veterinary Formula Clinical Care Oatmeal and Tea Tree Oil
The most significant difference between this shampoo and the rest we discuss is its antibacterial healing properties. It contains oatmeal and tea tree oil that helps in dealing with infections and skin allergies, while also providing relief against dry and irritated skin.
Huskies that often get exposed to extreme environment and weather are likely to suffer from fungal and viral infections. It could lead to dry, itchy, and inflamed skin. The fast-acting characteristic of this shampoo makes it an excellent prospect to minimize the effects of skin infections.
The manufacturer markets the product as medicated shampoo, but surprisingly, it does not contain harsh or strong chemicals. It produces a good lather and you may leave it on the coat for several minutes before rinsing.
- pH balanced treatment specifically designed for dog skin
- Veterinary-grade ingredients at a reasonable price
- Tea tree component helps in the retention of oil in the skin
- Useful in treating itchiness and rashes
- Prevents dry skin
- Affordable price
- Contains ingredients that could be harsh for frequent bathing
- Light scent needs improvement
Healthy Breeds Dog Deodorizing Shampoo for Siberian Husky
This may be the best option if you are looking for a product that can remove that wet dog smell of your husky. It does not contain any soap ingredient, which means it is hypoallergenic and gentle. A handful of users said that the dog shampoo is effective in controlling flaking and scaling. It is probably because of its fatty acid content, which claims to nourish your dog’s skin.
The manufacturer advertises this product as having a deep cleansing formula, thereby giving your husky a bright and soft coat. Unlike other dog shampoos, you can use the Healthy Breeds Dog Deodorizing Shampoo for Siberian Husky as often as you want.
- No skin irritation
- Smells wonderful yet light
- Lathers well
- Reasonably priced
- The light scent may not be enough for stinky dogs
- Can leave a flaky coat
- Pricier than similar products
Wahl Pet-Friendly Waterless No Rinse Shampoo for Animals
pH balanced, paraben-free, and alcohol-free are the three main selling points of this dog shampoo. This would have been the perfect shampoo for my husky at one point when we had to endure several weeks of extreme summer. If I had only known about this product before, it could have made a significant difference in keeping my restless pooch calm. The combination of chamomile and lavender is what makes this product an effective calming shampoo.
You can use the Wahl Pet-Friendly Waterless No Rinse Shampoo for Animals without the need to rinse. You apply it to your dog’s coat and proceed with a tower dry and brush.
- Allergy-friendly formula
- Safe on your dog’s coat even without rinsing
- Proven calming effect
- Meant for dogs that don’t like water
- Clean and potent scent
- Lavender scent can smell like aggressive perfume
- Can cause sneezing in some dogs
- May not work with dogs with itching and skin irritation problems
John Paul Pet Super Bright Shampoo for Dogs and Cats
This dog shampoo fits the bill for huskies. It contains all-natural botanical ingredients that can whiten and brighten the fur without the need for artificial and harsh chemicals. The product comes with blue and purpose optical enhancers that transform a dull coat into a vibrant appearance.
Its contents include fur-conditioning agents that don’t cause allergies or harm. The list consists of aloe vera, oatmeal, sweet almond oil, and chamomile. The shampoo not just leaves a sparkling coat, but also leaves a pleasant scent. The John Paul Pet Super Bright Shampoo for Dogs and Cats is an animal-friendly and cruelty-free product since it was first tested in humans.
- Pleasant scent
- Easy to rinse
- Leaves a clean and soft coat
- Can be used for cats and dogs
- Produces a shiny appearance
- Packaging could be improved
- Ineffective against collar stains
- The scent might be too light for stinky dogs
Veterinary Formula Solutions Snow White Shampoo for Dogs and Cats
This shampoo is designed for white dogs and cats, which is why it’s a good prospect if you have a white husky. It is a gentle shampoo with brightening, cleansing, and moisturizing attributes. It does not contain harsh ingredients.
The Snow White Shampoo is formulated for the effective removal of stains. What I like the most about it is its ability to stop the dog coat’s tendency to turn yellow. You can do that with the use of an aggressive solution like bleach or peroxide, but there’s no need to with this shampoo.
The shampoo offers a patented fragrance extender with a blue coral citrus scent. It is gentle and safe to the pet’s coat and fur, even with frequent bathing.
- Effective for whitening
- Does not require a separate hair conditioner
- Smells great
- Comes with moisturizing effects
- Effective in removing belly and collar stains
- Not the best option for puppies because it’s not tear-free
- Does not make a thick lather
- Can trigger skin allergies and itching
Earthbath All Natural Hypo-Allergenic and Fragrance-Free Shampoo
The shampoo pitches a cruelty-free and all-natural product that does the job of cleaning your husky without the aggressive scent. It is made from organic ingredients, highlighted by aloe vera and vitamin E.
The Earthbath All Natural Hypo-Allergenic and Fragrance-Free Shampoo does not contain alcohol, soap, or any animal by-product. It is safe for daily use if the husky or any other dog breed is over six weeks old. The Hawaiian awapuhi extract provides the shine for thick and stubborn coats.
Even with all-natural ingredients, the shampoo ensures potency against dander, discharges, drool, and other stubborn things that stick to your husky’s coat and fur.
- No aggressive or strong scent
- Tearless shampoo
- Does not cause skin allergies and itching
- Provides a softer and manageable coat for huskies
- Can build up a nice lather
- Too gentle or light scented for large stinky dogs
- Shipping and packaging needs improvement
Perfect Coat Shed Control Shampoo for Dogs
As the product name suggests, this dog shampoo is designed to help a husky owner groom his or her pet with minimal effort. The product contains a combination of Omega 3 fatty acids and antioxidants. It allows for an effective way to moisturize the skin and soften the coat of the dog.
The shampoo offers an easy rinse formula to keep the bathing experience convenient and quick. It also does not require a lot of water. The Perfect Coat Shed Control Shampoo for Dogs creates enough lather, but it does not have excess oil. The shampoo is available in 16 and 32-ounce bottles.
- Requires a minimum amount to lather a large dog
- Effective in minimizing shedding
- Gets rid of a stinky dog smell
- The light pleasant smell does not cause sneezing
- Reasonably priced
- The scent could be overly light for some dogs
- Multiple complaints of spills due to inadequate packaging
Burt’s Bees for Dogs Natural Shed Control Shampoo
This shampoo markets its effective shed-reducing formulation. It is safe to use for both mature dogs and puppies. Burt’s Bees for Dogs Natural Shed Control Shampoo is pH balanced, ensuring that it won’t cause skin irritation. It works by digging deep into the skin, preventing dry skin and flaking.
The shed control shampoo does not have a strong scent, so you may want to start with it if you don’t like your husky smelling like it is wearing an aggressive perfume.
It contains natural moisturizing and cleansing ingredients like honey, avocado, oatmeal, and lavender. It is ideal for both cats and dogs.
- Quick rinse
- Produces a soft and silky coat
- Made from 97% natural ingredients
- No complaints about skin irritation
- Reasonably priced
- Can cause eye irritation
- Lacks fragrance
- No proof that it helps prevent shedding
Lillian Ruff Professional Dog Shampoo
This shampoo for huskies is different from traditional pet shampoos because it comes with a 30:1 dilution ratio, qualifying it as a professional-grade product. Husky owners like me will choose a professional grade shampoo any day over other products since it usually means a long-lasting effect.
The Lillian Ruff Professional Dog Shampoo works on dogs with soap allergies. It can help relieve dry skin, itchiness, rashes, and skin irritation.
The manufacturer used 100% natural ingredients that guarantee safety even with frequent bathing. The natural formula is also responsible for improved skin hydration properties. The shampoo produces a soft and shiny coat with a conservative scent.
- No animal testing and 100% cruelty-free product
- Professional grade
- Flea and tick repellent
- All-natural ingredients
- Can irritate the eyes
- Requires a handful to produce a nice lather
- Pricier than competing products
Lucy Pet All Natural Shampoo for Dogs
This dog shampoo suits your husky well because of the combination of natural ingredients like coconut and sunflower seed oil. The organic properties allow for a gentle and soothing bath. Unlike some dog shampoos in the same price range, it is 100% cruelty-free, which means no animals were subjected to testing during its production.
This shampoo is designed for huskies and similar dog breeds that need extra coat protection. The moisturizing effect from the chamomile flower and papaya fruit extract prevents dry skin and flaking.
The manufacturer suggests that the product be used with the Lucy Pet Conditioner for the best possible results.
- Safe to use as leave-on
- Mild scent
- Helps in alleviating dry skin and itchiness
- Rinses easily
- Needs a pet conditioner to obtain the best results
- There are cheaper alternatives
Rocco & Roxie Argan Oil Dog Shampoo and Conditioner – Healthy Shiny Coat
This shampoo’s money-back guarantee says a lot about the manufacturer’s confidence. The shampoo contains the sought-after Moroccan argan oil. It’s the same ingredient found in human shampoo that is responsible for deep conditioning and smooth hair.
The product has no alcohol or masking dye, both of which are ingredients that can cause dry skin in dogs. Meanwhile, the geranium extract allows the regeneration of skin cells. The chamomile component brings the calming effect.
The manufacturer offers a money-back guarantee if you are not satisfied with the results.
- Excellent for frequent bathing without drying the dog’s coat and skin
- Lathers up easily
- Refreshing and natural scent
- The money-back-guarantee makes it a great deal
- Produces a shinier than usual coat
- Does not remove a stinky smell like urine
- Some ingredients can cause itching or allergic reactions
- Pricier than most dog shampoos
Pet MD – Oatmeal Dog Shampoo for Dogs
The shampoo leaves a clean and smooth coat, which may help you deal with your husky’s traditionally messy appearance. But the main selling point of the Pet MD – Oatmeal Dog Shampoo is its soap-free formula coupled with a handful of natural ingredients.
If your husky has extra sensitive coat and skin, this product should be a practical option. Contents like aloe vera, colloidal oatmeal, and vitamins prevent skin irritation when using the product for frequent bathing.
It acts as a natural cleanser. The all-natural ingredients help in restoring the natural moisture and oil in your dog’s skin. With no chemicals and artificial ingredients, it does not compromise or damage the sensitive coat of your husky.
- Leaves a soft and shiny coat
- Proven to ease up dandruff and flaking concerns
- Competitive price
- Aloe and oatmeal combination great for allergies
- Not recommended for puppies
- Not a tearless formula
- Scent leaves little to be desired
Nutriline Labs Antifungal & Antibacterial Chlorhexidine DermaHex-K Shampoo for Dogs
The primary distinction between this shampoo and the other products we discussed is its aggressiveness and potency. While most of the shampoos, we talked about lean towards the gentle side, this one is formulated to be powerful and strong enough to deal with bacterial infections.
It is a medicated shampoo but without the usual chemically induced fragrance. The pleasant scent is a notable selling point for this product, brought by the cucumber melon component. If your husky suffers from bacterial infection, fungal issues, and skin problems, this shampoo may be the answer. It contains chlorhexidine and ketoconazole that help in fighting off bacteria.
- Contains active ingredients to combat bacteria and fungus aggressively
- Leaves a surprisingly shiny coat
- Pleasant but not aggressive scent
- Quick to relieve itching in dogs
- Dog smells good all-day
- Active ingredients may not be ideal for dogs with sensitive skin and sense of smell
- Not suitable for frequent bathing due to chemical components
Veterinary Formula Solutions Triple Strength Dirty Dog Concentrated Shampoo
A dirty and filthy husky deserves more than just a typical gentle dog shampoo. This one offers a dirt-repelling formula called “DirtRepel” to get rid of stubborn dirt and odor in medium and large dog breeds, including huskies.
The product boasts ionic technology to retain the quality of the dog’s coat. It is a highly concentrated shampoo that has aloe vera, Vitamin E, shea butter, and wheat protein – all for moisturizing the skin and conditioning the coat.
The addition of green apple and white tea fragrance gives this shampoo a long-lasting scent that doesn’t trigger allergic reactions or sneezing.
- Affordable than most counterparts
- Gives an excellent lather
- Pleasant green apple scent
- Effective in getting rid of dirt and oil
- Requires more water for rinsing than usual
- A handful of complaints about scratching right after using the product
- The scent does not last long
Bark 2 Basics Honey & Almond Dog Shampoo
For dogs with sensitive skin and those with delicate coats, Bark 2 Basics shampoo fits the bill as it is made from all-natural ingredients. It does not have chemical and soap content. The manufacturer claims that the product is 100% biodegradable and cruelty-free. It means no animals were used in testing the product.
The shampoo focuses on producing an excellent coat for breeds like huskies. It contains a handful of herbs to repair damaged coat, while the almond and honey components provide the light fragrance.
- Mild and pleasant scent
- Frothy solution for improved lather
- Does not contribute to dry skin
- No chemical components
- Highly competitive price
- Some large dog owners prefer a concentrated solution
- The scent may be too light for stinky dogs
And The Winner Is…
Veterinary Formula Clinical Care Oatmeal and Tea Tree Oil
We’ve reviewed quite a lot of dog shampoos but there can only be one winner! The answer is the Veterinary Formula Clinical Care Oatmeal and Tea Tree Oil dog shampoo. We chose this dog shampoo because it addresses our need for a shampoo that makes bathing and grooming your husky more convenient. It is the only product in the list with potent anti-bacterial properties that’s under $10. Additionally, this shampoo does not cause allergy flare-ups and irritation with our husky. It is an essential attribute since huskies are known for their sensitive skin and delicate coat. I also especially love the fact that this shampoo doesn’t dry out Thor’s skin. Oh, and by the way, I think that Thor likes this shampoo the best as well!
A close runner up was Healthy Breeds Dog Deodorizing Shampoo for Siberian Husky. This shampoo is great for dealing with skin irritation and has a nice scent however, it is slightly more expensive than our top pick. I believe that you will be happy with Veterinary Formula Clinical Care Oatmeal and Tea Tree Oil.