Dogs are man’s best friend. They are great playmates, stress relievers, and exercise buddies. However, just like us, they also need to defecate, and the responsibility to clean that up is on us.
So, if you want to make dog parenting much easier, one essential item you should have is an easy-to-use dog pooper scooper.
This is very important, especially if you have a backyard. You would want to keep it clean and spotless, especially if you have younger children. Also, dog scoopers are great for those who don’t want to hurt their back by bending over to pick up dog waste.
How To Use A Regular Or Long-Handled Pooper Scooper
Well, dog pooper scoopers are extremely easy to use. Even if you’re a senior or a teenager, you would not have any trouble learning how to use this. To tackle that, let us take a look at two types of dog pooper scoopers.
Dog Poop Scooper With A Claw
Claw Type Dog Pooper Scoopers are generally lightweight and compact, so it’s easy to use with one hand. They are ideal for those who are walking their dogs daily because of their easy portability. It features an easy-pull handle that springs open the scooper so you can easily pick up the dog waste. So, try the grip first hand before buying it and make sure it’s easy to use.
How do you use a Claw Type Dog Pooper Scooper?
Claw-type dog pooper scoopers usually come fully assembled. Upon delivery, you can already use it to clean up your lawn.
So this type of pooper scooper can either be used with a poop bag or not, it’s up to you.
Using A Poop Bag On Your Pooper Scooper
If you prefer to use a bag with a dog poop bag, then you can put the poop bag on by following the steps below:
- Open the scooper by pulling the handle so that the inside of the scoop is exposed.
- Open the poop bag wide and push it inside the scoop. The outside of the bag should be in full contact with the inside of the scoop. You’ll know that you did this right if the inside of the bag is exposed once you open the scooper.
- Fold the excess of the bag on the finger grips of the scooper. The purpose of this is to prevent the bag from slipping out or getting in your way.
Then you’re all set for picking up dog wastes!
- To start scooping, tighten the grip to the handle so that the scoop opens wide enough to pick up all the waste on the ground. If you have a large dog, it’s ideal that you get a pooper scooper with a large scoop too, as bigger dogs tend to have bigger waste.
- Once you’ve picked up the waste, you can easily remove the poop bag by the handles. Tie the handles together and throw it in the trash. The greatest benefit of this method is you won’t have a pooper scooper that you need to clean because it didn’t come in contact with the poop.
No Poop Bag On Your Claw Pooper Scooper:
However, if you don’t want to use a poop bag, then that’s completely fine too. You can just carry a poop bag with you that you can use after you’ve picked up poop.
This method is practical for easy pick up of dog wastes from grass or gravel. Because having a poop bag in the scoop will make picking up difficult on these types of surfaces. Just remember to purchase a pooper scooper made of non-stick material so you won’t have any problems with cleaning afterward.
Bin and Rake Dog Poop Scooper
The bin and rake pooper scooper, unlike the pooper scooper with a claw, is a two-piece system – a rake and a bin. You use it as if you’re like sweeping too.
Because of this, they are less portable than the claw type ones and are perfectly made for backyard use. The most significant advantage of this type is the fact that handles are usually adjustable. So, you won’t have any problems with still needing to bend over if you have this pooper scooper are hand.
The great thing about this type is that the rake can be used to pick up dog waste on multiple surfaces. So, even if you’re walking your dog at the park, at your lawn, or basically anywhere, you wouldn’t have any trouble picking up dog waste.
The bin also usually comes in large sizes. So, even if you need to pick up multiple and large wastes, you wouldn’t have any problems at all.
How Do You Use A Long- Handled Bin And Rake Pooper Scooper?
Using the bin and rake type pooper scooper is also not that complicated. It also usually comes fully assembled, so you don’t have to worry about that.
- The first thing you need to do once you received this pooper scooper is to adjust the handle length. Make sure that it’s long enough that won’t make you strain your back.
- Next, place a poop bag inside the bin. The process is similar to putting a poop bag on a claw-type pooper scooper. However, this is easier as the bin is already fully opened. Also, make sure you secure the handles on the bin grip so that it won’t slip off.
- To clean up the poop, all you need to do is rake it to the direction of the bin like you’re sweeping dust. It’s that easy. The best thing of all is you get to pick up multiple wastes as long as it still fits the bin, so it only requires one visit to the trash bin.
- After you’ve cleaned up the poop, remove the poop bag from the bin by the handles. Tie it, and throw it to the trash bin.
- Once you’ve finished, it’s time to clean up the rake. It’s best if you choose a rake that is made of non-stick material so it won’t take a lot of your time to clean it. Generally, you would want one that is easily clean by hosing it down with water.
Final Thoughts On Pooper Scoopers For Dogs
The dog waste removal process shouldn’t bring much of a headache for dog owners. Besides, it’s nice to enjoy routines with our best friend without disliking a part of it – like the messy dog clean up.
As long as you have the right pooper scooper and you know how to use it properly, dog poop cleaning should be a breeze. Don’t make things complicated, and I hope that with the steps above, you’ll be enjoying dog parenting more.