Table of Contents
- 5 Best Dog Food for Australian Shepherd
- Best Natural Formula Dog Food for Adult Australian Shepherds
- Best High-Protein Dog Food for Australian Shepherds
- Best Dog Food for Large Breed Puppies
- Best Wet Dog Food for Large Breed Dogs
- Best Dog Food for Active Puppies and Adult Dogs
- How Much Should an Australian Shepherd Eat Daily?
- Best Dog Food for Australian Shepherds: Buyer’s Guide
- Best Dog Food for Australian Shepherd FAQs
- Are there specific vitamins, minerals, fats, or quality protein options that my dog will need when at various stages in its life?
- What foods can Australian Shepherds eat?
- Which foods should be avoided?
- Why are fruits good for an Australian Shepherd?
- Are dairy products safe for dogs?
- Should I stick with the same dog food brand throughout my dog’s life?
- Best Dog Food for Australian Shepherd Final Thoughts
Need help finding the best dog food for Australian Shepherd? Well, in this article we dive into 5 top products and provide our ratings, pros & cons, product specifications, and ingredients list.
Australian Shepherds were initially bred to live and work on ranches as herders. They are very active, intelligent, and relatively easy to train. You’ll find this dog breed adapts well to the rugged outdoors and is generally comfortable with other animals and pets due to their exceptional herding abilities. Australian Shepherds have a thick, short to medium-haired coat that varies in colors and patterns.
Australian Shepherds are high-energy and require daily exercise. They must have a secured, outdoor space, such as a fenced-in yard, so they can play and train freely. A high-protein, well-balanced diet is essential for this breed, focusing on curbing calorie consumption, as this can impact your dog’s weight and performance.
It’s also essential to ensure that your dog follows a diet appropriate for its age and specific needs. For example, suppose your veterinarian suggests a modified diet to handle underlying health concerns. In that case, this may involve commercially made products or a homemade recipe that best suits your pet’s needs.
Snacks and treats are a great way to encourage your dog, especially during training, though offering them in small portions is crucial. Australian Shepherds should always have access to fresh water, especially outdoors and active.
A quality source of filtered or spring water, along with a high-protein, nutrient-rich diet, is ideal for optimal health for your dog. Our best dog food for Australian Shepherd choices are specially designed to provide a high-energy level of physical activity while providing a balanced diet for your pet.
We base our recommended products on five attributes: price, quality of ingredients, nutrients, product size options, and pet satisfaction.
5 Best Dog Food for Australian Shepherd
Best Natural Formula Dog Food for Adult Australian Shepherds
Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula
Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula is a dry dog food ideal for adult, medium to large-sized dogs, including Australian Shepherds.
- Features high-quality meats as the primary ingredient, including fish, lamb, chicken, and beef
- Includes the appropriate portions of carbohydrates and essential proteins to meet your dog’s needs, including omega 3 and 6 fatty acids, which promote a healthy coat and skin
- Various sizes available, including five, six, fifteen, thirty, and thirty-four lbs., so you can purchase enough for more than one dog
- All ingredients are natural, and there are no by-products, wheat, corn, soy, preservatives, and artificial flavors
- This product needs to be stored in a dry, cool place to avoid the food losing its freshness
- It’s more expensive than other brands
Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula is an excellent product for most active adult dogs, including Australian Shepherds. While each dog food flavor is well formulated, you may find that your adult dog prefers chicken or lamb, the most popular options.
Beef and fish are also excellent animal protein sources, and all flavor varieties contain high-quality nutrients, with the proper portions of carbohydrates, vitamins, fats, and nutrients to support your dog’s health.
This dry dog food is an excellent staple for your pet’s diet if your dog is an active, healthy adult. Blue Buffalo’s products offer consistent quality, and while they cost more than average dry dog food, you’ll find the results are worthwhile.
Best High-Protein Dog Food for Australian Shepherds
Purina Pro Plan with High Protein
Purina Pro Plan with High Protein and Probiotics is an exceptional dry dog food that offers crunchy, semi-moist kibbles that are chewy and easy for your pet to digest.
- Purina is a reputable product that offers an excellent line of dog food products
- Fortified with multiple sources of protein, live probiotics, and nutrients to support your pet’s immunity and overall health
- The texture is favorable for dogs, which includes hard kibble mixed with chewy, tender pieces made with real meat
- It contains natural ingredients with a high volume of nutrients
- The formula is ideal for maintaining a healthy coat and skin
- Some ingredients may cause an allergic reaction, including corn, soy, and wheat
- This product costs more than other dog food brands
Purina Pro Plan with High Protein and Probiotics is an exceptional product if you’re looking for dog food that includes all the required daily nutrients. Purina Pro is a well-established brand with specially formulated food products. If you feed your pet with Purina Pro exclusively, you’ll see consistently good results. While this brand’s premium options are a bit more expensive, it’s a good choice overall and a worthwhile investment if you’re looking to satisfy all your dog’s nutrition needs, including special diets that require protein and probiotics.
Best Dog Food for Large Breed Puppies
Iams Puppy Dog Food
Iams Puppy Dog Food is ideal for all breed sizes, including Australian Shepherds and large dogs. It’s a dry dog food convenient to store and feed your pet.
- Iams is a recognizable and reputable brand, offering a wide range of quality dog food and treats
- Reasonably priced and affordable for dog owners
- Provides a well-balanced meal with rich nutrients, including minerals and vitamins
- The puppy food is well formulated for active, growing dogs
- Dry kibble is easy to store and may be fed to your dog in between wet and raw foods
- It contains natural, wholesome ingredients
- Recommended by veterinarians
- There are no artificial ingredients or fillers, so your dog will receive a healthy, nutrient-rich meal with every serving
- There is no scoop inside the food bag to dish out portions to your pet
Iams Puppy Dog Food is an affordable and popular brand that’s widely available and provides all the nutrients your dog needs as a puppy for growth and development. It’s a specially formulated food for large breed puppies, with the option to try other blends for your dog as they grow into adulthood and advanced age. You’ll find Iams meets your Australian Shepherd puppy’s dietary and nutritional needs without spending a premium on a high-cost brand.
Best Wet Dog Food for Large Breed Dogs
Purina Beneful Wet Dog Food
Purina Beneful Wet Dog Food is a great product that offers a variety of wet food options that are ideal for mixing and alternating with your pet’s dry kibble and textured food. You’ll find the 12-pack option provides various chopped blends so that you can find out which flavors your dog prefers, and Purina also offers individual packs of single flavor options and blends.
- Purina is a reputable brand that offers consistently high-quality pet foods and products
- It’s reasonably priced and affordable
- Each serving is packaged and remains fresh until served
- Variety packs are available in cans and resealable tubs
- Made with real meat, fish, and poultry, including vegetables and fruit supplements to support your dog’s muscles and strength development
- No artificial flavors or ingredients
- Flavor blends and texture is favorable to dogs
- Perfect for many breeds and sizes of dogs
- Some dogs may not prefer wet food or only eat specific blends
Purina Beneful Wet Dog Food is an excellent option for supplementing your dog’s diet with dry and textured kibble. It’s a good-quality canned food ideal for most dog breeds, and you can serve it as a single-serving meal or as a topper to dry food.
The variety pack is among our top picks, as you’ll get a sample of blends available and find which options your dog prefers. Purina’s wet dog food is prepared in high-quality facilities in the US, so your pets will enjoy excellent meals with all the essential nutrients, including minerals and vitamins, and without the addition of artificial colors and flavors.
Best Dog Food for Active Puppies and Adult Dogs
Victor Super Premium Dog Food
Victor Super Premium Dog Food is ideal for physically active puppies and adult dogs. This product offers a full range of nutrients to suit all dog ages and is specially formulated for puppies and adults who exercise regularly and spend a lot of time outdoors.
- Rated in the top 50 best sellers rank of dry dog food
- Most ingredients, including grain, meat, and vegetables, are sourced from ranches, trusted suppliers, and farms
- Victor’s products are well formulated for all ages and life stages in your dog’s life, with all nutritional levels meeting the AAFCO Dog Food Nutrient Profiles.
- High levels of protein include beef, chicken pork, and fish options
- Ideal for all breeds and sizes of dogs
- Available in various sizes, including 5, 15, 40, and 50 lb food bags so that you can feed multiple dogs
- It is made with gluten-free grains and excellent quality vitamins and minerals in a well-established facility in the US.
- Supports your dog’s immune system and improves skin and coat health
- Some dog owners and pets may find the kibble size too small, and the scent or flavor isn’t favorable for some dogs
Victor Super Premium Dog Food is an excellent quality dog food that’s perfect if you have multiple dogs of various sizes, breeds, and ages. You’ll find this product ideal for Australian Shepherds, as this formula provides a significant source of protein, with all the essential nutrients to maintain your dog’s health. Victor is a well-established brand that supports your dog through all stages of life.
How Much Should an Australian Shepherd Eat Daily?
Two servings of up to two cups of quality dry food are recommended, divided, and served in two meals. It’s best to feed your Australian Shepherd at mealtimes to avoid leaving the food out all the time, which helps maintain a healthy routine. You’ll also avoid overeating and prevent your dog from becoming overweight.
If you serve your dog wet food, you can either reduce each portion of dry kibble slightly and top the chopped meat as a topping or serve a full cup as an alternative meal to dry kibble. Ideally, it’s essential to prioritize high-quality dry dog food and add any wet food or supplements topping or alternative between dry food meals.
Best Dog Food for Australian Shepherds: Buyer’s Guide
When you’re choosing the best dog food for Australian Shepherd, it’s essential to choose a recipe or brand that includes a significant source of protein. While some dog food products include several meat protein sources, you’ll find the best food options are meat-based, with beef, chicken, and pork as top options. Your dog may enjoy lamb and fish flavors available in various brands.
In addition to high-protein content, you’ll want to ensure that your dog’s meal includes a significant amount of omega fatty acids, vitamins, and minerals. A quality brand of dog food will include the proper proportions your puppy or adult Australian Shepherd needs for a balanced diet.
It’s also vital to choose a brand that’s low in calories, as Australian Shepherds are prone to gain weight when they are less active. Supporting their exercise routine with adequate protein, healthy fat, and nutrients are prioritized.
Australian Shepherds respond well to most high-quality, protein-rich dog foods. While some dog owners may choose a product with less meat protein content and more plant-based nutrients, it’s essential to check with a veterinarian to ensure you’re meeting your dog’s health requirements.
If your dog suffers from allergies, a food sensitivity, or doesn’t prefer food products with grain, corn, or soy, there are plenty of great gluten-free options, including food options without these ingredients.
A few important options to keep in mind when choosing a good quality dog food include:
- Your dog’s size, age, and life stage are essential, as some dog food products are specially formulated for puppies, adults, and older dogs
- If your dog is highly active, you’ll want to select a food with the highest protein content, and from quality sources, including local farms and ranches
- If your dog has any health conditions or adverse reactions to certain ingredients, review your Australian Shepherd’s food recipe to ensure they’re avoiding food items that don’t agree with them
It’s also essential to choose a food product that includes healthy fat, supporting shiny, healthy skin and coat. Omega 3 and 6 fatty acids are excellent for skin health and may offer some protection from the sun and outdoor elements if your dog exercises and frequently plays outside.
If you’re looking for more tips on the best protein blend for your dog, a veterinarian can provide excellent suggestions on which brands work best for your pet. While most Australian Shepherds respond well to our top picks, a veterinarian can assess if your dog requires extra nutrients or supplements available in certain types of food.
Your veterinarian will review your pet’s health history, previous reactions to certain foods, and other factors to determine which best dog food for Australian Shepherd is best for your pet, including dry kibble and wet food.
Best Dog Food for Australian Shepherd FAQs
Are there specific vitamins, minerals, fats, or quality protein options that my dog will need when at various stages in its life?
Nutrients are essential for your dog at every age, and you’ll find that various food products are formulated to provide sufficient nutrition for a puppy, adult, and senior dog. It’s also important to consider how active your dog is, as they will require more quality protein and slightly more carbohydrates to support their routine.
What foods can Australian Shepherds eat?
In addition to providing a well-balanced diet and choosing the best dog food for Australian Shepherd, your pet can enjoy a variety of fresh foods, including blueberries, strawberries, watermelon, peanut butter, fish, bread, and cooked eggs. Your veterinarian may suggest other healthy foods for your dog, including specific types of berries or bread, to support your pet’s health.
Which foods should be avoided?
Xylitol, a sugar supplement, is dangerous for dogs, including Australian Shepherds, and should be avoided altogether. Other foods that should be skipped include chocolate, avocado, lemon, raisins, and grapes. It’s also important to avoid feeding your foods and drinks that may include traces of alcohol, which can be harmful to your dog’s health.
Why are fruits good for an Australian Shepherd?
Fruits are an excellent option for dogs because they provide a host of nutrients that support your dog’s health. These nutrients include vitamins, antioxidants, minerals, and high levels of fiber. Blueberries, watermelon, and strawberries are also low in calories, pleasant tasting, and easy to consume and digest. It’s crucial to remove watermelon seeds before serving slices to your dog.
Are dairy products safe for dogs?
Generally, it’s acceptable to serve milk-based products to your Australian Shepherd in moderation. While dairy offers essential nutrients, including calcium, vitamins, and protein, some dogs can become lactose-intolerant, which can cause reactions to milk and milk-based foods.
Too many dairy treats or foods to your dog can contribute to excessive weight gain, making cottage cheese and mozzarella better options and within a reasonable caloric range.
Should I stick with the same dog food brand throughout my dog’s life?
Ideally, if you find the perfect blend for your pet, there’s nothing wrong with maintaining your Australian Shepherd’s diet with the same food. And, selecting best dog food for Australian Shepherd is a great first step!
Many brands accommodate your dog’s various life stages with various formulas and flavor options, so you can easily stick with your pet’s favorite food. It’s also great to include a few supplements to your pet’s diet, including fresh fruits, fiber-rich foods, and wet food toppers to give your pet some variety.
While some dogs are adventurous in trying new foods, others may prefer a specific blend or flavor. It won’t take long to find suitable options for your Australian Shepherd, from their early years as a puppy, well into adulthood.
Best Dog Food for Australian Shepherd Final Thoughts
We hope that you were able to find the best dog food for Australian Shepherd in this article. If you’d like us to review another product, please feel free to contact us!
Amazon Best Rated Products - Last Updated on 2023-01-30. DISCLAIMER: Some or all of the product links on this page are affiliate links. The operator of this website received a small commission if you purchase products through these links, HOWEVER, there is no added cost to you. These commissions help to fund the operation of this FurryFriendsGear.com