Table of Contents
- 5 Best Dog Food For Yorkies
- Best Organic Raw Dog Food Formula for Yorkies
- Best Puppy Small Breed Dry Dog Food for Yorkies
- Best Small and Toy Breed Dry Dog Food for Yorkies
- Best Wet Dog Food Cups for Yorkies
- Best Vegetable-Based Kibble for Yorkies
- Best Dog Food for Yorkies: Buyer’s Guide
- Best Dog Food For Yorkies FAQs
- Best Dog Food For Yorkies Final Thoughts
Are you searching for the best dog food for Yorkies? Well, in this article we dive into 5 top dog food products for Yorkies and provide our ratings, pros & cons, product specifications, and ingredients list.
Yorkies, also known as Yorkshire Terriers, are small breed dogs with long, shiny, floor-length fur that resembles hair. Initially, this breed was a working dog in mills and mines hunting for rats and small rodents. Yorkies are small, toy breeds that are light-weight and have a long coat of fur maintained at its full length or trimmed shorter for easier grooming and maintenance. This small dog’s fur is typically grey or steel, blue, white, or gold.
A Yorkie pup is highly active and requires a protein-rich diet with fiber, nutrients, omega fatty acids, and carbohydrates for the ideal balance to support their energy. Adult and senior dogs reach a weight that typically doesn’t exceed seven pounds. This small breed dog is much stronger and more agile than they appear.
They are known for their bossy, strong-willed nature, and confidence. Yorkshire Terriers are hypoallergenic, and they thrive well in small spaces, making them an ideal pet in an urban setting, such as a small apartment or living space.
Your Yorkie offers a vibrant personality and social nature, making a great family pet. This toy breed requires a diet rich in nutrients, including healthy fats, animal protein, and natural ingredients for best results.
Our top best dog food for Yorkies picks include formulas that support your Yorkie’s coat health, skin, and healthy digestion. Pet food products for a Yorkie pup provide all the vitamins, minerals, fatty acids, and protein that promote healthy development and growth into adulthood.
We chose the top 5 best dog food for Yorkies products based on price, pet satisfaction, nutrients, product size, and the quality of ingredients. Our top choices are ideal products for small breed puppy diets and toy breed-sized dogs, with nutrient-rich blends that provide all the essential ingredients required for your Yorkshire Terrier.
5 Best Dog Food For Yorkies
Best Organic Raw Dog Food Formula for Yorkies
Small-Batch Pets Freeze-Dried Raw Food is an organic blend of naturally-raised meat and high-quality nutrients for small breed dogs.
- This freeze-dried raw food offers a great flavor and nutrition boost as a topper on dry kibble
- The food is served in sliders, which can be provided as a snack or meal on its own, or easily broken and mixed with another food blend
- There are no artificial ingredients, fillers, pesticides, or non-GMO foods in this formula
- This formula offers a high level of nutrients in a small serving, which is perfect for Yorkies and other small breed dogs
- Small Batch Pets is a reputable brand that provides the best quality in pet formulas for health-conscious pet owners
- Made with only naturally sourced ingredients
- Ideal for picky eaters and easy to digest, as all nutrients are from whole foods and natural sources
- Not recommended for large breed dogs
Small-Batch Pets Freeze-dried Raw Food offers a nutritional boost to your dog’s diet, whether you choose to provide this formula as a topping to your pet’s regular dry kibble, as a treat, or a snack during training. It’s a high-quality product that offers all the essential nutrients your dog needs in a meal.
Best Puppy Small Breed Dry Dog Food for Yorkies
Hills Science Diet
Hill’s Science Diet Dry Dog Food is a great puppy formula for small breed dogs and an ideal brand for Yorkies.
- Veterinarians recommend this formula for optimal nutrition
- It contains high-quality protein that supports muscle growth, joints, and bones
- This dog food offers a significant amount of minerals and DHA from fish oil and fatty acids from flaxseed to support eye and brain development
- All food is processed in well-maintained U.S. facilities, and ingredients are sourced from quality suppliers
- Includes antioxidants and vitamins to support dental health and immunity
- Ranked as a best seller in the top 100 dry dog food products
- It’s not recommended for large breed dogs or adult dogs
Hill’s Science Diet Dry Dog Food is an excellent formula for small breed dogs and puppies, offering a nutrient-rich blend of high-grade animal protein, omega fatty acids, and nutrients. Hill’s Pet Nutrition is a reputable brand that supports optimal health and a balanced pet diet.
Best Small and Toy Breed Dry Dog Food for Yorkies
Nutro Ultra Small and Toy Breed dry dog food for full-grown dogs is an excellent formula that offers a superfood blend of top-grade nutrients and protein from multiple sources.
- This formula contains protein from multiple sources, including salmon, chicken, and lamb
- It contains no soy, meal, corn, wheat, artificial colors, flavors, or preservatives
- This premium kibble is made with quality nutrients that are designed to meet the needs of small breed adult dogs
- Made with all-natural and non-GMO ingredients
- It contains about 15 superfood ingredients, including coconut, chia, blueberries, and kale
- Ranked as a best seller in the top 100 dry dog food category
- This formula is available in three sizes, including four, eight, and 15-lb. bags
- This formula is not recommended for large breed dogs
Nutro Ultra Small and Toy Breed give your pet a unique and rich blend of vitamins, minerals, and nutrients that support the growth and development of small and toy breed dogs, including Yorkies. This blend doesn’t include any poultry by-products or artificial ingredients. Nutro Ultra designs pet food formulas with only the best ingredients from top suppliers and farmers
Best Wet Dog Food Cups for Yorkies
Blue Buffalo Delights
Blue Buffalo Delights Natural small breed dog food is a great wet food formula for small breed dogs.
- Available in several flavors, including New York Strip, Filet Mignon, roasted chicken, chicken, and a variety pack
- This formula is easy to feed in single-serving cans in packs of 12, 24, and 36
- Only real meat is used in this formula, and there are multiple sources of animal protein to support your Yorkie’s energy level and health
- Made with natural ingredients
- This formula doesn’t include any poultry by-products, soy, wheat, corn, thickening agents, or artificial ingredients
- Each can offer the ideal portion for one serving, and no preparation is needed
- Only the finest quality nutrients are used in preparing this wet dog food
- Ranked as a best seller in the top 20 canned dog food category
- Not all flavors are consistently available
- Only some case sizes may be in stock at a time
Blue Buffalo Delights Natural is the ideal topper for dry kibble dog food and as a single meal on its own. This brand offers a great line of dog food formulas with only the top ingredients and quality foods, without any fillers or ingredients that frequently cause allergies and food sensitivities, such as gluten, wheat, corn, and soy.
Best Vegetable-Based Kibble for Yorkies
Cesar Small Breed Dry Dog Food
Cesar Small Breed Dry Dog Food spring vegetable blend is a great dry kibble that offers a fantastic blend of animal and plant-based protein and nutrients.
- Ranked as a best seller in the top 25 dry dog food category
- Available in several flavors, including chicken Porterhouse, Filet Mignon, and variety packs
- This formula is designed for small breed sizes, though it can be served as a topper or light snack for large breeds
- This gourmet blend offers 26 nutrients that are essential for a Yorkie or small dog
- There’s a re-sealable zipper on the dog food package, which keeps the formula fresh
- This formula includes a wide variety of vegetable-based nutrients blended with natural beef and chicken as a primary nutrient
- Kibble pieces are small and semi-moist, which makes them easy to chew and digest, especially for small dogs and toy breeds
- This formula is available in several package sizes, including 2.7, 5, and 12 lb. bags
- Not all flavors and sizes are consistently available.
Cesar Small Breed Dry Dog Food provides the perfect combination of natural meat and vegetable protein with high-quality nutrients to meet your small dog’s health and dietary needs. This gourmet blend makes a great snack or a reward when training your dog.
Best Dog Food for Yorkies: Buyer’s Guide
When you adopt a Yorkshire Terrier, you’ll enjoy the quick-witted, strong-willed, and playful toy breed. Yorkies are excellent family dogs that require a high-quality diet to support their energetic personality and active lifestyle.
It’s essential to choose a manufactured dog food formula that contains high-grade protein and nutrients, including dry and wet dog food products that support proper development and growth throughout all stages of life.
When you review the dog food options for your Yorkshire Terrier, you’ll find excellent flavors, blends, and nutritious recipes to support your small dog’s diet and health. Yorkies need a consistent serving of high-quality protein, fatty acids, and nutrients, whether you choose a commercial dog food brand or follow a customized, vet-approved diet of homemade dog food and supplements.
There are essential steps to take in choosing the right dry dog food or wet food for your Yorkshire Terrier, including:
- Review the ingredients on the label of each dog food product to ensure only natural ingredients are included, without the use of artificial flavor, dyes, color, or preservatives
- The size, age, and activity level of your dog
- Take note of any allergens or ingredients that may impact a sensitive stomach or digestion issues
- Avoid fillers, processed grains, and by-products
- Choose a formula based on your dog’s preference for flavors and texture
- Choose a formula that contains omega fatty acids, vitamin A, and vitamin E to support healthy skin and coat
Yorkshire Terrier is the smallest of the terrier breed, and they have a reputation for being a picky eater, which can make choosing a suitable brand challenging. If you’re uncertain which option is the best puppy food, dry formula, or wet dog food, your vet nutritionist can provide great options that provide all the essential nutrients for your dog while satisfying their preference and offering all the required protein levels, vitamins, and minerals for optimal health.
Best Dog Food For Yorkies FAQs
How much dog food should I feed my Yorkie every day?
Yorkshire Terriers require approximately ¼ to ½ cup of food daily, which can be fed in smaller portions of three to four servings. An adult Yorkie typically eats twice daily, and usually no more than ½ cup each day in total.
Can my Yorkshire Terrier eat snacks?
Yes. It’s best to limit treats for training as a reward or an occasional snack. Yorkies can have small, low-sodium, high-protein treats like dried meat or similar snacks designed for small breed dogs. You can also provide human food such as cooked turkey, chicken, or beef, cooked eggs, raspberries, strawberries, sweet potato, green beans, banana, canned pumpkin, and peanut butter.
It’s crucial to provide only fully cooked meat, to avoid contamination. Peanut butter should be low in sodium and unsweetened. Snacks and treats should be limited to not interfere with regular feeding habits and schedules.
Which foods should not be fed to a Yorkshire Terrier?
Yorkies shouldn’t have any foods high in sugar, sodium, or contain caffeine or alcohol. Other foods to skip feeding your pet include avocados, mangoes, grapes, raisins, raw eggs, garlic, chocolate, onion, and bread dough. Selecting an option from our list above of the best dog food for Yorkies will help you in determining the best options for your four-legged friend.
Dairy products should be limited to small, sugar-free, low-fat options such as cottage cheese, low-fat, plain yogurt, and mozzarella. Ideally, avoid any foods with artificial flavors and ingredients, which may cause adverse reactions or impact your pet’s allergies.
What happens if my Yorkie gains too much weight?
Since Yorkies are very small, weighing between three and seven pounds as an adult dog, they may gain extra weight at any life stage. This risk increases as Yorkies age, leading to heart disease, obesity, and diabetes.
For this reason, it’s essential to monitor your Yorkshire Terrier’s weight, health, and feeding habits to ensure they maintain a healthy weight throughout every life stage. Ideally, your veterinarian can check your Yorkie’s weight, which can be performed monthly. Ribs should be easily located, though they shouldn’t be visible, indicating your dog’s healthy weight.
Are Yorkies picky eaters?
Yes, though once your Yorkshire Terrier becomes accustomed to a specific formula, establishing a feeding schedule becomes easier. You may notice a change in your Yorkie’s feeding behavior when switching from a puppy formula to adult dog food, which may occur between one and two years of age.
Best Dog Food For Yorkies Final Thoughts
We hope that you were able to find the best dog food for Yorkies in this article. If you’d like us to review another product, please feel free to contact us!
Amazon Best Rated Products - Last Updated on 2023-01-30. DISCLAIMER: Some or all of the product links on this page are affiliate links. The operator of this website received a small commission if you purchase products through these links, HOWEVER, there is no added cost to you. These commissions help to fund the operation of this FurryFriendsGear.com