Do you need help finding the best dog food to prevent gas? Well, in this article we dive into 5 top products and provide our ratings, pros & cons, product specifications, and ingredients list.
If your dog experiences flatulence and difficulties with digestion, it’s essential to adjust your dog’s diet to a limited ingredient, all-natural formula that supports your pet’s health while helping to prevent gas. It’s also vital to include all the essential nutrients in your dog’s diet, including omega fatty acids, animal protein, prebiotic fiber, and probiotics to support a sensitive tummy and improve digestion.
Specific food items, including some natural ingredient options, may contribute to dog flatulence, such as soybeans, high-fat diets, dairy products, beans, and spices added to homecooked and commercial pet food. You may notice changes to your pet’s flatulence from an occasional dog fart to bad gas over time.
When your veterinarian determines there is a regular gas formation in the intestine or stomach, this is known as flatus, a medical condition. In most cases of excessive gas, the best treatment is a shift in diet to remove high-fat ingredients, spicy foods, and foods associated with indigestion.
Ideally, it’s best to avoid fillers and ingredients that impact a gassy dog’s digestive system, specifically the ability to break down food and the colon’s fermentation of gassy foods. And, that is possible with our listing of the best dog food to prevent gas!
We selected a group of quality dog food formulas that reduce flatulence by improving your dog’s digestion with high-grade nutrients, vitamins, minerals, and probiotics. Our top choices of the best dog food to prevent gas for dogs include several factors, like price, pet satisfaction, nutrients, the quality of nutrients, and product size options.
5 Best Dog Food To Prevent Gas
Best Grain Free Dog Food Formula for Preventing Gas
Merrick Grain Free Formula
Merrick Grain Free Formula blends natural sweet potato with real meat to provide a well-balanced meal for good digestion.
- Available in several flavor blends, including chicken, duck, salmon, Texas beef, beef with bison, and lamb
- Includes protein from multiple animal and vegetable sources, which supports bone, joint, and muscle development
- This formula features chondroitin and glucosamine that helps maintain your dog’s digestive system, healthy skin, and a shiny coat
- This dry dog food contains 65% protein and healthy fats, which support a healthy digestive system, and reduce flatulence.
- Available in several sizes, including 4, 10, 22, and 30-lb. packs
- This formula doesn’t contain any gluten, soy, wheat, corn, or artificial preservatives
- Ranked as a best seller in the dry dog food category
- Some product sizes and flavors are not consistently available for purchase
- This brand is more expensive than other formulas
Merrick Grain-free Formula provides an outstanding balance of animal protein and plant-based nutrients to support your dog’s digestive system and overall health. It’s a well-balanced dry food formula that doesn’t include grains and common allergens that may contribute to a sensitive stomach or food allergy, while providing naturally sourced nutrients to support your dog’s metabolism and digestive tract.
Related article: Best Dog Food for Hypothyroidism
Best Dog Formula for Food Sensitivities and Preventing Gas
Hill’s Prescription Diet
Hill’s Prescription Diet for Food Sensitivities provides a veterinarian-recommended formula for dogs with sensitive digestion and skin conditions. There will be visible improvement in your dog’s coat after 30 days, no more loose stool, and healthy digestion and immune system.
- Available in four size options, including 7, 8, 17.6, and 25-lb packs
- This formula is ideal for all dog breeds and sizes
- Hill’s Prescription is highly regarded as a reputable brand
- This recipe is designed to meet the nutritional needs of your adult dog with this vet-approved formula, based on clinical research
- It contains omega fatty acid and nutrients to support skin, coat, and digestive health
- Provides support for a healthy immune system with antioxidants
- This formula contains high levels of a protein that supports muscle and bone development
- Ranked in the top 5 veterinary diet dog food products as a best seller
- Ranked in the top 250 in the dry dog food category
- There is only one flavor blend available for pet food
Hill’s Prescription Diet for Food Sensitivities is a veterinarian-approved and designed formula that provides all the essential nutrients and balanced ingredients to support your dog’s digestive health. It’s an excellent dry food formula to treat gassy dogs and excessive flatulence that can result from the stomach and intestinal issues related to your pet’s digestion.
Best Dog Food Formula for Senior Dogs and Preventing Gas
Purina One SmartBlend
Purina One SmartBlend Vibrant Maturity Senior is a special formula that caters to older dogs’ unique digestion and health needs.
- This formula features glucosamine, which supports joint and bone health in older dogs
- Recommended by veterinarians
- The dry kibble is small and crunchy, which makes it easy for all dog sizes to pick up and chew
- There are several sizes available, including 8, 16.5, and 31.1 lb. bags
- Real chicken is the main ingredient and provides a high-quality, lean protein to support your dog’s health
- Supports senior dogs’ vision and brain health, while boosting energy, and mental alertness with top-quality nutrients, including omega fatty acids, antioxidants, and protein
- Available in various flavors, including chicken, turkey with barley, and bundle blends that feature nutrient combinations specifically for heart health, vision support, and brain health
- This formula is gentle and contains only natural ingredients, which is best for easy and healthy digestion and reducing excessive gas and bloating
- Ranked a best seller in the top 75 dry dog food products category
- Some of the size options and flavors may not be consistently available for purchase
Purina One SmartBlend Vibrant Maturity Senior is an excellent formula for senior dogs to provide exceptional digestive health and support for joints, muscles, bones, brain, vision, and overall energy.
Best Grain Free Dog Food Formula with a Fruit and Veggie Base
Base Mix Dog Food
The Honest Kitchen Human-Grade dehydrated grain-free formula offers a base mix to blend water and protein to improve your dog’s digestion.
- This formula contains a rich level of nutrients that blend well with any dog food formula
- When this dehydrated dog food mix is blended with water, it will expand to equal a portion of fresh food, which can be mixed with your choice of human-grade protein or premium formula
- Compact and easy to store and prepare for your pet
- This recipe does not contain any GMO ingredients, fillers, wheat, corn, soy, or artificial ingredients
- All ingredients in this blend are human-grade
- This dehydrated food is designed to blend well with fish, meat, or a vegetable-based protein food for your pet
- This food is ideal for raw food diets
- Ranked as a best seller in the top 5 dehydrated dog food category
- Available in three pack sizes, including 1.75 oz, 3-lb., and 7-lb packs
- Available in fruit with vegetables or vegetable, and nut with seeds blends
- This mix is available in whole grain or grain-free varieties
- This formula must be mixed with a protein and water before serving, which may take a bit longer to prepare
The Honest Kitchen Human-grade is a great dehydrated mix that works well to boost your dog’s digestive health with a quality source of protein and filtered water. While this blend takes a few minutes to prepare, it’s a great way to promote better metabolic function, immunity, and digestive function for your pet at all stages in life.
Best Vegan-Based Dog Food Formula for Preventing Gas
Wild Earth Vegan Dog Formula
Wild Earth Vegan Dog Formula is a dry dog food that provides high-quality plant protein with veterinarian-approved and developed nutrition for a balanced diet.
- An excellent formula for all dog breeds and sizes
- Available in two sizes, four and 18-lb bags
- This vegan recipe features a high protein content that supports your dog’s metabolism and digestion
- There are no fillers or ingredients that are likely to cause allergic reactions
- It contains only whole foods and natural ingredients, including pumpkin, oats, sweet potato, and greens
- Supports digestive health with L-carnitine, taurine, and DHA to brain, vision, and heart health
- Wild Earth is well-established and produces products that are sustainable and with a low carbon footprint
- Ranked as a best seller in the top 300 dry dog food category
- It’s an excellent formula for dogs with severe allergies and food sensitivities
- This product is available in limited flavor blends
Wild Earth Vegan Dog Formula is a great option for dogs with excessive gas and digestive issues that result from a chronic condition or medical issues. Wild Earth offers an excellent product ideal for pet owners who prefer to provide a plant-based diet for their pets, effectively treating and reducing common medical conditions and symptoms.
Best Dog Food for Preventing Gas: Buyer’s Guide
Your dog’s health is highly dependent on a well-balanced, nutritious diet of the best dog food to prevent gas without ingredients that are low in quality and contribute to the build-up of gasses. It’s essential to include a diet rich in animal protein, carbohydrates, vitamins, omega fatty acids, and minerals.
If you’re concerned about the impact of your dog’s diet on their digestive health, it’s essential to review each dog food formula and the ingredients carefully. While some formulas include a rich blend of animal proteins sourced from quality meat and limited ingredients, other dog food products are full of filler ingredients that promote gas production and may not break down properly in the stomach and intestines.
There are several important factors to consider when choosing a quality dog food product for your pet, including:
- Formulas that include gluten, wheat, and processed grains should be avoided, especially if there is a history of indigestion and allergies
- The quality and source of ingredients which should be natural and as minimally processed as possible
- Avoid products with artificial flavors, colors, dyes, and preservatives
- Skip foods that contain dairy products, including milk and cheese
- Your dog’s size, age, activity level, and diagnosed medical conditions, including inflammatory bowel disease, respiratory disease, and eating disorders
- Recent changes in your dog’s diet and how a new formula may impact their digestive system
A veterinarian can provide guidance and suggestions for the best dog food to prevent gas for your dog, whether they are diagnosed with small intestinal bacterial growth, inflammatory bowel disease, or other conditions that produce excessive gas.
In cases where dog gas is severe and impacts your pet’s quality of life, your vet may recommend supplements or a treatment plan, which may include medication to treat this condition.
Frequently Asked Questions About The Best Dog Food To Prevent Gas
Which foods should be avoided to prevent gas?
Soybeans, peas, dairy products, beans, and preservatives can increase dog gas and produce issues with digestion. Dog food formulas high in wheat, gluten, and other grains may interfere with proper digestive processes and increase discomfort from gas build-up, leading to more flatulence.
If you feed your pet human-grade food, it’s best to offer cooked, unsalted turkey, chicken, beef, and fish. You can also offer fresh fruits and vegetables to add fiber, though feed these foods separately and not with commercial food products, as this may cause compulsive eating, which leads to more gas.
What treatments are used to treat dog flatulence?
Dog flatulence is easily treatable with a treatment plan from your vet. If you’re not initially concerned with your dog’s health, a simple change in diet can provide significant improvement. In some cases, excessive eating can lead to indigestion and gas issues, which require careful monitoring to ensure your pet doesn’t overeat.
Your veterinarian may prescribe a diet consisting of the best dog food to prevent gas and a treatment plan customized for your pet, which may include medical therapy. Carminatives are a common medication used to provide relief from heavy flatulence. You can also treat gas issues with probiotics, which can be provided as a supplement or dog food formula.
Can gas problems lead to excessive weight gain?
You may notice your dog’s stomach expands when they have bad gas, though this may be due to bloating or indigestion. While weight gain is a risk with overeating, which may contribute to gas, it may be temporary. If you notice consistent weight gain, there may be another health condition that your vet can address and prescribe a treatment plan.
Is changing a dog’s diet expensive?
The cost of adjusting your dog’s diet depends on the commercial dog food formulas and the type of foods included. While some premium formulas are designed to maintain a proper diet for your dog, you may find that a simple change in diet, which may include supplements or reducing a specific ingredient or food, may resolve the issue of flatulence.
Can a change in diet resolve all gas-related issues?
In most cases, reducing gas through diet is adequate, though additional treatments and supplements may be required if there is an underlying medical condition related to excessive flatulence.
If you notice changes in your dog’s feeding schedule, eating habits, and weight changes, it’s essential to visit a vet, especially if you have a gassy dog or pet with diarrhea, vomiting, and other concerning symptoms that may impact their health.
Best Dog Food To Prevent Gas Final Thoughts
We hope that you were able to find the best dog food to prevent gas in this article. If you’d like us to review another product, please feel free to contact us!
Amazon Best Rated Products - Last Updated on 2023-10-01. DISCLAIMER: Some or all of the product links on this page are affiliate links. The operator of this website received a small commission if you purchase products through these links, HOWEVER, there is no added cost to you. These commissions help to fund the operation of this FurryFriendsGear.com