Table of Contents
- 5 Best Dog Food For Hypothyroidism Options
- Best Low-Fat, Grain-Free Dry Dog Food Formula for Hypothyroidism
- Best Dry Dog Food with Probiotics for Hypothyroidism
- Best Natural Formula Dog Food for Hypothyroidism
- Best Grain-Free Dry Dog Food for Small Breed Dogs with Hypothyroidism
- Best All-Natural Dog Food for Hypothyroidism
- Best Dog Food for Hypothyroidism: Buyer’s Guide
- Best Dog Food for Hypothyroidism Frequently Asked Questions
When your dog is diagnosed with hypothyroidism, this may come as a surprise, like many pets, including dogs, don’t show symptoms of this condition right away. A few signs may indicate a thyroid disease, such as weight gain, hair loss, and other symptoms that your veterinarian may detect during a check-up, blood work, and tests. And, finding the best dog food for hypothyroidism can be concerning.
Dog hypothyroidism is a common condition in many dogs, which is more common in certain dog breeds, such as the Golden Retriever, Irish Setter, Cocker Spaniel, Miniature Schnauzer, and German Shepherd.
There are two main types of hypothyroidism in dogs. Primary hypothyroidism or autoimmune thyroiditis occurs when your pet’s body doesn’t recognize the thyroid gland and instead considers it a threat to the body.
In this process, your dog’s body creates antibodies to attack the cells in the thyroid gland, which results in tissue scars and disables the thyroid’s function. This type of hypothyroidism is the most common type of this condition in dogs.
Dog hypothyroidism is also caused when the hypothalamus, thyroid, and pituitary glands aren’t working correctly, which means the thyroid isn’t receiving the signals required to function well. When the pituitary doesn’t produce sufficient thyroid-stimulating hormones, the thyroid cannot work efficiently. While the thyroid itself isn’t damaged, it fails to function when other glands in the body don’t communicate, which results in hypothyroidism.
In both types of hypothyroidism, it’s essential to seek professional advice from your veterinarian, including continuous monitoring, testing, and prescribing thyroid medication.
Canine hypothyroidism is a common thyroid problem that can be treated successfully with veterinary medicine, regular exercise, and a well-balanced diet. Your dog’s health and thyroid hormone levels are manageable with proper medical treatment and diet. Our top picks are based on the best dog food for hypothyroidism with formulas that promote metabolic health and are chosen based on price, pet satisfaction, nutrients, quality of ingredients, and product size options. These dog food options are ideal for supporting thyroid function while providing essential nutrients, protein, and fiber.
5 Best Dog Food For Hypothyroidism Options
Best Low-Fat, Grain-Free Dry Dog Food Formula for Hypothyroidism
Grain Free Lean Low Fat Formula
Annamaet Grain-free Lean Reduced Fat dry dog formula offers premium nutrition and human-grade ingredients for optimal health.
- Manufacturer: Annamaet Pet Foods
- Size: 25 x 15.5 x 3.75 inches, and a weight of 25 lbs.
- Ingredients: Chicken, lentils, potato, tapioca, field peas, chicken meal, herring meal, chicken fat, duck meal, lettuce, marine microalgae, lecithin, celery, watercress, spinach, carrots, vitamin E
- Annamaet is a reputable, family-owned, and operated company that provides high-quality pet food products that are sustainable and natural
- This formula is grain-free and doesn’t contain soy, corn, wheat, or gluten
- Annamaet’s grain-free formulas include chelated minerals that provide support to your dog’s immune system while increasing mineral absorption
- It contains L-Carnitine, which improves your dog’s ability to use fat and promote lean body mass
- It contains omega fatty acids, fiber, and high protein to support bone and muscle development while promoting healthy skin and coat
- Annamaet’s pet formula packaging is biodegradable
- There are three sizes available, in 5, 12, and 25-pound packages
- Ideal for all breed sizes
- This dog food formula is not recommended for puppies
Annamaet Grain-free Lean Reduced Fat dry dog food offers a unique blend of high-grade, organic nutrients that provide all the essential vitamins, minerals, protein, and omega fatty acids to support your dog’s thyroid function. It’s one of the best dog food options for adult breeds of all sizes and stages.
Annamaet produces pet food formulas with only the top ingredients to reduce weight gain and control thyroid hormone levels. This grain-free dry food offers balanced nutrition ideal for a sensitive stomach. Overall, it’s one of the best commercial dog food options for your pet.
Best Dry Dog Food with Probiotics for Hypothyroidism
Purina Pro Plan
Purina Pro Plan with Probiotics is a high-protein formula for adult dogs. This chicken and rice blend is easy to digest and offers balanced nutrition for dogs with thyroid conditions.
- Manufacturer: Nestle Purina Pet
- Size: 5 x 17.5 x 32 inches, and 35 lbs.
- Ingredients: Chicken, rice, soybean meal, corn gluten meal, whole grain wheat, dried egg product, fish meal, fish oil, salt, copper, calcium, glycerin, wheat bran, vitamins B5, B12, B1, B7, D3, B6, B2, A, E, C, garlic oil, manganese, zinc
- This formula offers a small, semi-moist kibble that’s crunchy and pleasant to pick up and chew
- A great source of lean, high-grade animal protein
- An easily digestible formula that contains probiotics, rice, and shredded chicken to support your dog’s immune system
- Available in four sizes, including 6, 18, 47, and 35-pound bags
- Supports healthy skin and coat
- Ranked as a best seller in the top 5 dry dog food products
- This formula is not ideal for puppies
- Some ingredients in this dry dog food, such as corn gluten and wheat, may cause food sensitivities and allergies in some pets
Purina Pro Plan with Probiotics is an affordable, quality product that offers a well-balanced meal for your dog. It’s the ideal choice for a dog owner and provides excellent dietary support for dogs to help control thyroid hormone levels with veterinary medicine. This lean formula also promotes muscle and bone development with a blend of high-grade protein, probiotics, and nutrients.
Best Natural Formula Dog Food for Hypothyroidism
Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula
Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula is a nutritionally balanced dry dog food that supports a healthy weight with lean protein, fiber, vitamins, and minerals.
- Manufacturer: Blue Buffalo Company Ltd.
- Size:5 x 16 x 5 inches, and a size of 30.28 lbs.
- Ingredients: Deboned chicken, barley, brown rice, chicken meal, peas, pea protein, dried tomato pomace, chicken fat, flaxseeds, pea fiber, zinc, potatoes, dried chicory root, alfalfa, potassium, iron, vitamins E, B3, B12, D3, B2, B1, B7, B6, A, B9, zinc, oil of rosemary, carrots, sweet potato, garlic, manganese, blueberries, cranberries, barley grass, parsley, dried kelp, turmeric
- This healthy formula prevents weight gain and supports the thyroid gland
- It contains a wealth of rich vegetables and whole grains to improve metabolism
- Available in a variety of flavor blends, including chicken with brown rice, beef with brown rice, lamb with brown rice, healthy weight chicken, and fish with brown rice
- Available in various sizes, including 5, 6, 15, 30, 34-pound packs
- It helps build and develop bones, muscles, and joints
- It contains omega fatty acids from fish oil, which promotes healthy skin and coat
- It does not contain any wheat, soy, corn, artificial flavors, or preservatives
- No poultry or chicken by-products
- Rated as the top dry dog food choice in this category for pet formulas
- Blue Buffalo is a well-respected brand known for high-quality pet food products
- Prices may vary, and the cost may be higher than other dog food products
Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula is one of the top choices for a healthy, well-balanced diet. Blue Buffalo is a well-established quality brand. It provides all the essential nutrients and quality ingredients your adult dog requires for optimal health, including support for the thyroid and metabolism.
Best Grain-Free Dry Dog Food for Small Breed Dogs with Hypothyroidism
Nulo Adult Dog Food Formula is a grain-free, dry food perfect for small dog breeds. It’s also a good option for dogs of all sizes and provides lean protein and nutrients ideal for weight control.
- Manufacturer: Nulo
- Size: 27 x 14 x 4 inches, and 26 lbs.
- Ingredients: Turkey meal, salmon meal, lamb, chicken fat, chickpeas, yellow peas, pea fiber, dried chicory root, lamb meal, dried apples, dried blueberries, salt, dried carrots, dried tomatoes, copper, vitamins A, B6, D3, B12, B1, C, E, rosemary extract, iron, calcium
- This formula is grain-free, which is easy to digest for dogs with sensitive digestive systems
- Does not contain foods that contain most allergic reactions, such as soy, corn, wheat, gluten, soy, or artificial ingredients
- Features omega fatty acids to support healthy skin and coat
- Promotes your dog’s metabolism by providing a healthy dose of fiber and lean protein
- Available in lamb, turkey, and salmon
- Available in several sizes, including 4.5, 4, 6, 11, 24, and 26-pound bags. The 26-pound package is resealable
- All ingredients are sourced in the U.S.A. and blended in a high-grade facility
- Some package sizes may not be consistently available for purchase
Nulo Adult Dog Food Formula is an all-natural, low-carb blend that supports your dog’s overall health while supporting their thyroid and metabolism. This dry dog food kibble is small and easy to pick up and chew for dogs of all sizes, including small breed dogs. It’s a top favorite for dog owners and their pets, with a pleasant taste for dogs.
Best All-Natural Dog Food for Hypothyroidism
Wellness CORE Grain Free
Wellness Core Grain-Free dry dog food blend supports the development of lean body mass, muscle tone, and overall good health for dogs of all breeds. It’s an excellent formula for pets with hypothyroidism, offering low-fat and high-protein ingredients.
- Manufacturer: Wellness
- Size: 16 x 4.75 x 24.5 inches, and 26 lbs.
- Ingredients: Turkey meal, deboned turkey, chicken meal, chicken fat, dried ground potatoes, peas, ground flaxseed, tomato pomace, calcium, chicory root extract, carrots, parsley, salmon oil, zinc, kale, blueberries, apples, spinach, broccoli, vitamins E, B12, C, A, D3, green tea extract, rosemary extract
- This formula is suitable for all breed sizes
- It contains no grains, which prevents allergic reactions and food sensitivities
- Ingredients include flaxseed and salmon oil, which provide omega fatty acids for healthy skin and coat
- High-grade nutrients include probiotics, glucosamine, antioxidants, and taurine for digestion and heart health
- It contains only natural ingredients, with no preservatives, artificial colors, or flavors
- Available in three sizes, including four, 12, and 26-pound bags
- This brand is more expensive than similar brands
- It’s not a recommended food for puppies
Wellness Core Grain-free formula is an ideal choice for hypothyroid dog food and a great addition to your dog’s diet, with digestible carbohydrates, high-quality animal protein, and balanced nutrition with all the essential vitamins and minerals. This formula offers a great blend of nutrients that support dogs with thyroid issues and excessive weight gain.
Best Dog Food for Hypothyroidism: Buyer’s Guide
A thyroid profile is what your veterinarian uses to assess your dog’s thyroid function and determine if they have autoimmune thyroiditis or similar thyroid disease.
Once your vet prescribes a treatment plan for your dog, you’ll also receive advice on the best dog food for hypothyroidism, including supplements for nutritional support.
The best ingredients to find in your dog’s food include lean animal protein, healthy fats and oils, fruits, and vegetables.
Once your dog is diagnosed with hypothyroidism, you’ll want to start with a diet of lightly cooked and raw foods. It’s also essential to choose commercial dog food formulas with natural ingredients, preferably without grains, soy, corn, gluten, and other foods likely to cause an allergic reaction or weight gain.
Grain-free dog food options tend to be lower in carbohydrates, which can help accelerate weight loss and promote your dog’s metabolism.
When you initially receive the news of your dog’s hypothyroid condition, it may be challenging to determine which foods are best for your pet and how to find the best dog food for hypothyroidism. Your veterinarian or a vet nutritionist can provide all the resources and details to choose the right commercial dog food products, supplements, and natural human-grade foods to support their health.
Regular communication with your vet is a great way to monitor your dog’s progress and ensure they respond well to their treatment plan, including medicine, supplements, and a specialized diet.
Best Dog Food for Hypothyroidism Frequently Asked Questions
How do veterinarians treat dogs with hypothyroidism?
Levothyroxine sodium is a standard treatment that helps dogs with an underactive thyroid. This medicine helps treat thyroid hormone deficiency and may relieve other conditions that impact the liver, brain, muscles, and kidneys. It’s also commonly used to prevent certain types of tumors caused by thyroid disorders.
What happens if my dog doesn’t receive treatment for hypothyroidism?
Dogs with hypothyroidism will experience weight gain, muscle weakness, and related discomfort due to these changes. Thyroid disorders can also lead to hair loss, anxiety, sluggishness, and a lack of activity.
Without a balanced diet and medical treatment, dogs with this thyroid condition will struggle with fatigue, slowed heart rate, sensitivity to heat or cold, and joint pain. For this reason, it’s essential to consult with a vet if any symptoms reveal the possibility of thyroid issues.
Which foods should I avoid feeding my dog?
Dogs with hypothyroidism tend to gain weight due to the metabolism slowing down. A diet high in fat, salt, and fillers such as grains, corn, and soy can increase weight gain and slow the progress of your dog’s medical treatment, even if they are generally active and exercise often. Ideally, it’s best to choose formulas with lean protein, lots of vegetables and fruits, omega fatty acids, and no grains or excessive sodium.
Can anxiety or changes in mental function be a sign of hypothyroidism in dogs?
Signs of stress in a dog may be caused by various conditions, including factors that are non-health related, such as moving to a new home or introducing a new pet into the household. Consistent stress or anxiety may be a sign of hypothyroidism, especially if there are other changes in your dog’s behavior, including weight gain, fatigue, and hair loss.
Is there a natural way to treat hypothyroidism in dogs?
There may be some health supplements and natural treatments that improve your dog’s thyroid function and metabolism, though it’s best to consult with a veterinarian to ensure they are safe.
Amazon Best Rated Products - Last Updated on 2022-05-16. DISCLAIMER: Some or all of the product links on this page are affiliate links. The operator of this website received a small commission if you purchase products through these links, HOWEVER, there is no added cost to you. These commissions help to fund the operation of this FurryFriendsGear.com