Are you looking for the perfect dog bed for your pooch? This could be difficult if you’re having a tough time figuring out dog bed sizing and all that it entails. I’ll tell you the right-sized dog bed to get for your dog, share a sizing chart, and other valuable information.
To find the best dog bed sizing for your pooch, measure your dog from the tip of its nose to the base of its tail. Next, measure your dog’s width from shoulder to shoulder and do so at the widest point. After you’ve completed the measurements, give your dog extra space to spread out by adding 6-12 extra inches.
Finding the best dog bed sizing doesn’t need to be a major hassle. But it could be if you aren’t paying attention or you refuse to measure your dog to learn the proper size.
Don’t worry because this doesn’t need to be an issue any longer. We’re about to share the best information possible for you to determine the right size via tips and a handy sizing chart.
I’ll share a basic sizing chart with dog’s bed sizes, dimensions, weight, and dog breeds right now.
Related article: Top 10 Best Dog Beds, Our Complete Analysis
Dog Bed Sizing Guide
|Dog Bed Sizes
|24” L x 18” W
|Chihuahua, Japanese Chin, Maltese, Papillon, Pomeranian, Yorkshire Terrier
|30” L x 21” W
|Bichon Frise, Boston Terrier, Brussels Griffon, Dachshund, French Bulldog, Pug, Shih Tzu
|36” L x 24” W
|Beagle, Cocker Spaniel, Miniature Schnauzer, Scottish Terrier, Shetland Sheepdog
|42” L x 28” W
|American Staffordshire Terrier, Basset Hound, Boxer, Collie, Shar-Pei, Welsh Corgi, Wheaten & Bull Terrier
|48” L x 30” W
|Airedale, Bloodhound, German Shepherd, Golden Retriever, Labrador Retriever, Rottweiler, Siberian Husky, Standard Poodle, Tibetan Mastiff, Weimaraner
|XX Extra Large
|52” L x 32” W
|Alaskan Malamute, Bernese Mountain Dogs, Great Dane, Irish Wolfhound, Old English Bulldog, Newfoundland, St. Bernard
Best Bed Model: Choosing The Right Style Bed To Meet Your Dog’s Needs
Getting the right dog bed sizing measurements of your dog is certainly important and will go into that in greater detail below. But you also have to pick the right style bed to fulfill the needs of your favorite puppy or dog.
For starters, you have to think about your particular dog. Is your pup old and suffering from joint problems? Does he or she like to sleep on cool surfaces? Does your dog get cold during the winter?
Consider the following:
- If your dog has joint problems, it would probably be best to get it a cushy and soft bed – something with a memory foam mattress would suffice.
- If your dog likes to sleep on cool surfaces, for example, it would certainly benefit from a cooling dog bed, which would provide maximum comfort for your pooch.
- If your dog likes to sleep on warm surfaces while getting snugly, a heated dog bed seems like the best possible choice for your pooch.
Sleep Position Preferences
Does your dog like to sleep in a particular position? Does it like to curl up in a round ball? Or maybe your dog likes to sprawl out and stretch?
Consider the following:
- If your dog likes to sleep curled up in a ball, getting him or her a round dog bed would likely be an excellent choice.
- If your small dog likes to feel secure and snuggled up tightly, a cozy cave bed would likely be the optimal choice for your canine.
- If your dog loves to stretch out and get comfortable by sprawling on the ideal bed, you’ll need a much rectangular bigger bed for your favorite pooch.
- If your dog doesn’t like laying on the floor, an elevated pet bed would make a big difference in whether or not your pup feels comfortable while sleeping or resting.
Determining Your Budget
I know we all love our pets and we would do anything for our dogs. But as we all know, money doesn’t grow on trees. Some people have to stick to a specific budget when buying a new pet bed for their senior dog, puppy, or anything in between.
So, before you fall in love with a particular dog bed that is way too expensive for your budget, you should determine the amount that you’re willing to spend ahead of time. Then you can focus on looking at dog beds in that specific price range and nothing more.
Keeping It Clean
Another aspect to consider when finding the best dog bed sizing for your furry friend is cleaning. Cleaning the dog bed can be a real chore or hassle if you happen to purchase one that is difficult to clean. Think about your dog in particular too.
Does it normally have accidents that require cleanup? Is the pet bed going to be very difficult to clean if your dog were to have an accident?
Take the following into consideration:
- Choose a pet bed that has removable covers if your dog is prone to accidents.
- Make sure the covers and the rest of the pet bed are machines washable.
- Find the perfect dog bed that’s the right size for your furry friend but will also fit in your washing machine
Do You Know How To Wash A Dog Bed?
It’s Important To Wash Your Pooch’s Bed Regularly To Keep It Smelling Fresh And Looking Clean. Click The Button Below To Learn How To Wash A Dog Bed With Removable Covers, Without Them, And More!
Dog Bed Sizing: Measure Twice, Buy Once
Now that you’ve figured out the right bed style for your dog, it’s time to measure your mutt.
Ideally, the best tool for the job is to use a tape measure – a floppy tape measure is better than a metal tape measure. A yardstick would also work in a pinch as well.
This isn’t rocket science and you do not have to come up with perfect measurements to get this right. But the closer dog bed sizing measurements you can get, the better off your pooch will be. But if you aren’t perfectly accurate and you end up coming in an inch or two too small or too large, it won’t be the end of the world.
Okay, here’s how you should approach the dog bed sizing process and measurements. And don’t worry because it’s very simple:
- When you begin measuring your dog, do so from the tip of its snout and measure all away back to the base of its tail.
- Does your dog like to sprawl out? If so, try to measure your dog as if you’d measure a human laying on its back. Measure from the bottom of its paws all away up to the top of its head.
- If measuring your pup while he or she is stretched out is too difficult to accomplish, just add on extra space as best you can. Eyeball the additional wiggle room you’ll need and add it to the overall amount. Make sure your dog has enough room to stretch out and get comfortable while sleeping.
- Remember to write down all of your measurements and keep them on hand. You’ll need them when you begin shopping online to find the perfect dog pet bed for your favorite mangy mutt.
Dog Bed Sizing Manufacturer’s Guidelines: Are They Helpful When Choosing A New Bed For My Pup?
Absolutely! You should never ignore the manufacturer’s dog bed sizing guidelines because they’ll share valuable information about proper sizing, material, bodyweight recommendations, and other important information as well.
Plus, the manufacturer might sell a specific type of pet bed that you’ll need for your particular pooch. I’m thinking about elevated pet beds as an example, which is more of a specialty item.
When you begin looking at dog bed sizing guides online, make sure to pay close attention to the product listing page and manufacturer specifications. Consider things like:
- Body length
- Type of material
- Sizing recommendations
- Dog breed examples per size
- Sleeping patterns
- Additional features
- Other valuable information that they’ve shared
Other Pet Owners: Read The Thoughts And Information Shared by Other Dog Bed Owners
At this stage of the game, most online retailers allow customers to share their thoughts and feelings about a particular product right on the manufacturer’s listing page. This information is invaluable because it gives potential customers access to real-world thoughts and feelings about a particular product from more than one previous customer.
In particular, you should focus on customers that like to tell you about the specific pros and cons of how dog bed sizing positively or negatively helped them find a particular dog bed. They’ll tell you their favorite things about the specific dog bed and they’ll also share the stuff that they didn’t like about the dog bed as well.
This information is invaluable because it helps you get a true idea of how your furry friends will manage the performance of a certain dog bed.
The Last Word On Dog Bed Sizing Charts
Finding the right-sized dog bed is of the utmost importance for your favorite mangy mutt. This may seem like a massive chore on the surface, but it doesn’t have to be as long as you are willing to use the information that I shared today to your advantage.
At this point, I’d like to reiterate some of my best tips and ideas shared above for your benefit. Take a close look at a brief rundown of my favorite tips and use them to discover the ideal dog bed for your favorite puppy, older dogs, or average everyday pooch.
- Consider the style of bed that would be ideal for your dog. Would your pup prefer a round dog bed, heated dog bed, cool dog bed, elevated dog bed, large rectangular dog bed, or another style?
- Measure your dog from the tip of its nose to the base of its tail. Take stretching and sprawling out into consideration. Possibly add 6-12 inches or more to accommodate your dog’s favorite sleeping positions?
- Does the dog bed you prefer fit within your budget? Consider ignoring the products that are outside of your budget to avoid the temptation, unless it’s the best choice for your dog’s comfort.
- Is the dog bed easy to clean? Make sure it’s machine washable, has removable covers if your dog tends to have accidents and make sure it fits in your washing machine as well. If it doesn’t fit in your washing machine, take your machine washable dog bed and bring it to the laundromat when needed.
- Always read the manufacturer’s guidelines. They provide handy tips and information that make it very easy for you to choose the perfect-sized dog bed to meet your pup’s needs.
- Find out what other customers had to say about a particular dog bed. They have first-hand information that they are willing to share with you, so you might as well benefit from their experience and wisdom.
I hope you found this information helpful and informative. I’m glad that you stopped by to read this article. If you have other tips and information that you’d like us to add, please tell us your thoughts and ideas by leaving a comment below.