Table of Contents
- 5 Best Dog Food For Shedding Options:
- Best High-Protein Dog Food for Shedding
- Best All-Natural Dog Food for Shedding
- Best Ready-to-Serve Dog Food for Shedding
- Best Wild, Natural Dog Formula for Shedding
- Best Adult Dog Food for Shedding
- Best Dog Food For Shedding: Buyer’s Guide
- Best Dog Food For Shedding FAQs
- Is it safe to feed cat food to my dog?
- Which human-grade foods are best for maintaining healthy skin and coat?
- When does shedding lead to excessive hair loss, and what does this mean?
- What other steps should I take to reduce shedding?
- How often should my dog drink water for proper hydration?
- Is there a way to prevent shedding?
- Which dogs shed the most?
- Are there topical creams that support my dog’s coat and reduce shedding?
- Best Dog Food For Shedding Final Thoughts
Need help finding the best dog food for shedding? Well, in this article we dive into 5 top products and provide our ratings, pros & cons, product specifications, and ingredients list.
If you’re a new dog owner, you’ll likely notice various characteristics and standard processes that occur with your pet, including shedding. When dogs shed, this can be a challenging situation to control, though it’s a natural way to get rid of damaged, old hair while keeping their fur and skin healthy. The amount of shedding varies based on the dog breed, one or two layers of fur, and the season or time of year.
While shedding is frustrating for the dog owner, it’s a process that every dog experiences throughout its life. There is no method to prevent shedding, though ways can reduce its impact. Some dog breeds have fur like human hair, which doesn’t shed as much, and they are less likely to cause allergic reactions or pet dander.
The Maltese, Schnauzers, Afghan Hounds, Portuguese Water Dogs, Cocker Spaniels, and poodles are among dog breeds that shed less and are easier for dog owners with allergies or sensitivities to pet fur and dander.
There are important ways to reduce your dog’s coat shedding, including a regular grooming routine, shedding tools, proper nutrition (hint: select one of the best dog food for shedding options below), and hydration. These will keep your dog’s shedding under control while improving skin, coat health, and sensitive skin.
A well-balanced diet is rich in natural ingredients, essential fatty acids, and quality nutrients for overall good health. Our top choices for the best dog food for shedding are based on the price, nutrients, pet satisfaction, product size, and the quality of ingredients. A balanced diet of high protein, fiber, healthy fats, vitamin E, and fish oil will support your dog’s coat health.
5 Best Dog Food For Shedding Options:
Best High-Protein Dog Food for Shedding
Purina Pro Plan
Purina Pro Plan for Sensitive Skin and Stomach offers a high-protein formula that supports your dog’s health while reducing shedding.
- It contains salmon, fish oils, and sunflower oil, which supports healthy skin and coat
- Available in several sizes, including 4, 5, 16, 24, 30, and 41-lb. bags
- Kibble is crunchy and easy to pick up and chew
- Ideal for all breed sizes and types
- It supports your dog’s digestive system and improves your pet’s appetite if they have a sensitive stomach
- It contains no wheat, soy, corn, and no artificial flavors, colors, or preservatives
- There are no poultry by-products in the formula
- Made with all-natural ingredients that are easy to digest and include live probiotics for immune health
- Ranked as a best seller in the top ten dry dog food category
- Not all product size options are consistently available
- It may not be suitable for dogs with allergies to salmon or rice
Purina Pro Plan for Sensitive Skin and Stomach offers an outstanding balance of nutrition and easily digestible ingredients that support your dog’s coat and skin. It’s a well-balanced formula that helps manage shedding while keeping your pet’s fur coat shiny and healthy-looking.
Related article: Best Dog Food To Prevent Gas
Best All-Natural Dog Food for Shedding
Diamond Naturals Skin & Coat Formula with real salmon and potato is one of the best dog food options for shedding while promoting a healthy coat and skin.
- This grain-free formula is ideal for dogs with sensitive stomachs and allergies
- It contains high protein and amino acids to support the development of lean muscle growth
- It does not contain wheat, corn, artificial flavors, colors, or preservatives
- Science-based formula, and recommended by veterinarians
- It contains high-quality vitamins and minerals, antioxidants, and hypoallergenic ingredients.
- Diamond Naturals is a family-owned company that processes all pet food products in high-grade U.S. facilities
- It contains probiotics and fiber to promote healthy digestion
- This product is only available in two sizes (15 and 30-lb bags)
Diamond Naturals Skin & Coat Formula with real salmon is an excellent formula for all dog breeds and sizes. It’s a premium, all-natural food that supports healthy skin and coats to manage to shed. This product is safe for dogs of all life stages, including puppies, adults, and senior dogs.
Best Ready-to-Serve Dog Food for Shedding
JustFood For Dogs
JustFoodforDogs PantryFresh dog food is a great alternative to dry dog food and wet dog food formulas, offering a fresh, natural meal with high-quality ingredients.
- Made with wholesome ingredients and grain-free, which is easy to digest for most dogs
- Veterinarians recommend it for dogs with sensitive stomachs and digestive systems
- It does not contain preservatives, artificial colors, flavors, or by-products
- It’s packaged fresh and ready to serve, without any preparation needed
- All ingredients contained in this formula is fit for human consumption and supports all the vital parts of your dog’s health, including their skin, coat, digestion, and organs
- An excellent formula for picky eaters
- Ranked as a top pick for vet-recommended fresh food brands for dogs
- Ranked as a best seller in the top 100 wet dog food category
- The cost is higher than other dog food brands, though the quality is worth the price
- Available in limited sizes
JustFoodforDogs PantryFresh dog food offers premium nutrition for your dog, whether you serve this ready-made treat as a topper to your dog’s regular dry kibble brand or serve it as an alternative to dry or wet dog food. This formula offers the best quality in natural, preservative-free ingredients, preventing possible allergic reactions or food sensitivities.
Best Wild, Natural Dog Formula for Shedding
Taste of the Wild
Taste of the Wild Roasted Bison and Venison is an excellent option for dogs of all sizes and ages, including puppies and senior dogs.
- Manufacturer: Diamond Pet Foods
- Size: 5 x 17 x 25 inches, and 27.85 lbs.
- Ingredients: Lamb meal, water buffalo, sweet potato, potatoes, chicken fat, chicken meal, beef, roasted venison, egg product, roasted venison, pea protein, fish meal, taurine, vitamins E, A, B12, D3, zinc, copper, manganese, calcium.
- It’s available in three sizes, including 5, 14, and 28-lb packs
- Grain-free and ancient grains formulas are available
- Only real meat is included in the ingredients, which promote the development and growth of lean, strong muscles, joints, and bones
- It contains probiotics, which supports your dog’s immune system and digestive health
- It contains all the essential nutrients from fruits and vegetables, including omega fatty acids that support your dog’s healthy coat and skin
- The company is family-owned and provides sustainable, high-quality pet food without any corn, wheat, artificial flavors, colors,
- This formula may cost more than other dry dog food products
Taste of the Wild Roasted Bison and Venison provides a fantastic blend of high-grade animal proteins, vegetables, fruits, and omega fatty acids to support your dog’s digestive health. This wide variety of nutrients further supports a healthy coat and may control excessive shedding by supporting your dog’s health with a healthy, sustainable diet.
Best Adult Dog Food for Shedding
Canidae Pure Limited Ingredient Premium is an excellent formula for dogs with excessive shedding and digestive issues, including sensitive stomachs.
- Ranked as a top seller in the best 100 dry dog food products category
- Available in several package sizes, including 4,10, 12, 21, and 24-lb. packs
- There are various flavor blends available, including salmon with sweet potato, lamb with peas, lamb, goat with venison, wild boar with garbanzo beans, chicken, lentil with peas, and bison, lentil with carrots.
- This formula contains limited ingredients and no artificial flavors, colors, or preservatives.
- It contains antioxidants and probiotics to support your dog’s immune system, healthy skin, and coat
- It’s a suitable formula for dogs of all sizes and breeds
- Easily digestible for dogs that are picky eaters or have a sensitive digestive system
- Some flavor options and package sizes may not be consistently available for purchase
- This product is more expensive, though worth the price due to its high quality
Canidae Pure Limited Ingredient Premium is one of the best dog food options for sensitive skin and excessive shedding while offering high-quality protein sources, omega fatty acids, vitamins, minerals, and probiotics to support your pet’s health. This unique product offers flavor options that dogs love, including fish oils and plant-based nutrients to promote a well-balanced diet.
Best Dog Food For Shedding: Buyer’s Guide
When you choose pet food to control dog shedding, it’s essential to select a formula that contains all the essential nutrients, high protein, fiber, and omega fatty acids in flaxseeds, olive oil, and fish oil. There is plenty of great dry food and wet food options that meet your dog’s nutritional requirements while supporting healthy skin and coat.
It’s essential to find the right dog food brand for your pup or adult pet, supporting optimal health while providing all the required nutrients and natural oils to maintain a healthy coat and skin.
You may find that your dog sheds more during seasonal changes or may have a medical condition that requires a specialized diet and advice for treatment from a veterinarian.
You’ll want to consider the following factors when choosing a quality dog food, including:
- Avoid products with artificial flavors and preservatives
- If you choose a formula with grains, choose only wholesome whole grains
- Ensure the pet food contains high-quality, natural protein and healthy fats
- Any medical conditions or skin issues, including rashes, allergies, thyroid issues, and reaction to certain topical creams
- If you’re treating your pet with medication, it’s crucial to choose a product that includes ingredients that don’t interfere with your pet’s health or cause side effects
- Fungal and bacterial infections, parasites, lice, or mites, and other conditions that affect the skin and coat health
- Your dog’s health, size, age, and activity level
- Probiotics and prebiotic fibers to support your dog’s immune system and digestion
- Your pet’s flavor and texture preference, including choices for wet and dry food products
Your veterinarian will provide advice and suggestions for reducing the impact of your dog’s shedding. This process involves ruling out food allergy issues, a sensitive stomach, and other medical conditions that may cause excessive shedding, including significant hair loss or skin conditions. In addition to a well-balanced diet, your vet may recommend supplements and grooming treatments to minimize shedding and support your dog’s coat and skin.
Best Dog Food For Shedding FAQs
Is it safe to feed cat food to my dog?
Cat food is not the best option for dogs, as they are designed to meet the nutritional needs of cats. Ideally, a quality dry dog formula with healthy fats and proteins is recommended for supporting your dog’s unique health needs.
Which human-grade foods are best for maintaining healthy skin and coat?
Some great fruits and vegetables support your dog’s skin and coat health. These include raw fruits and vegetables such as cantaloupe, watermelon, strawberries, apples, carrots, zucchini, lima beans, sweet potato, pears, and blueberries. You can also provide small portions of cooked meat, such as turkey, beef, salmon, and chicken, and cooked eggs and unsweetened peanut butter.
When does shedding lead to excessive hair loss, and what does this mean?
If your dog’s shedding increases, leading to significant hair loss, this may indicate a more serious health condition. Your veterinarian can perform tests to determine the underlying cause and provide treatment options based on the results.
Common conditions that may contribute to hair loss and significant shedding include allergic reactions, increased stress, anxiety, bacterial and fungal infections, liver or kidney conditions, parasites, and other conditions, including diseases that impact your pet’s immune system.
What other steps should I take to reduce shedding?
A healthy diet is an excellent place to start, though you’ll want to maintain a good grooming routine, lots of water for hydration, and regular bathing to reduce shedding. A good quality de-shedding shampoo may also keep shedding under control while nourishing your dog’s skin.
How often should my dog drink water for proper hydration?
When your dog’s skin is dehydrated, this can lead to rashes and increased shedding, leading to hair loss. There’s no specific amount of water your dog requires, though it’s essential always to keep a bowl of fresh water available for your dog.
Is there a way to prevent shedding?
Shedding is a natural process that must occur for your dog to maintain a healthy fur coat and skin. While shedding cannot be stopped completely, there are methods to reduce hair loss while keeping your pet healthy. One of which is the select the best dog food for shedding from our list above.
Which dogs shed the most?
Are there topical creams that support my dog’s coat and reduce shedding?
There may be options to treat skin conditions that may impact your dog’s shedding and overall health. If there are concerns about a possible medical condition, your vet can recommend the best skin creams or ointments available.
Best Dog Food For Shedding Final Thoughts
We hope that you were able to find the best dog food for shedding in this article. If you’d like us to review another product, please feel free to contact us!
Amazon Best Rated Products - Last Updated on 2022-05-15. DISCLAIMER: Some or all of the product links on this page are affiliate links. The operator of this website received a small commission if you purchase products through these links, HOWEVER, there is no added cost to you. These commissions help to fund the operation of this FurryFriendsGear.com